fayenyc

losing wireless connection intermittently

I am about to get my second Linksys WRT54GX4.  The router works great when it works; I get a strong signal all over the house.  The problem is, the wireless connection dies intermittently and no one can tell me why.  I've tried to re-set firmware, sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't.  For example, when I got the first replacement router, it worked wonderfully for about five weeks.  Then it just stopped working (the internet on the desktop that was connected to the router worked, but the laptop did not get wireless, and nor did the second desktop that was getting wireless through an external adapter).  We had done nothing to change settings, or add or change programs.  One night soon after I shut everything down (modem, router, desktop) and then powered everything back up, in the order recommended by Linksys.  The conenction was restored, immediately, but then at 7 a.m., it was down again.  At 3 p.m., I was able to log on, but at 3:30 p.m. the wireless signal was down.  A firmware upgrade was attempted but the system crashed.

Does anyone have any suggestions or comments?  I don't know what else to do, other than perhaps buy another router.

Re: losing wireless connection intermittently

fayenyc wrote:
I am about to get my second Linksys WRT54GX4. The router works great when it works; I get a strong signal all over the house. The problem is, the wireless connection dies intermittently and no one can tell me why. I've tried to re-set firmware, sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't. For example, when I got the first replacement router, it worked wonderfully for about five weeks. Then it just stopped working (the internet on the desktop that was connected to the router worked, but the laptop did not get wireless, and nor did the second desktop that was getting wireless through an external adapter). We had done nothing to change settings, or add or change programs. One night soon after I shut everything down (modem, router, desktop) and then powered everything back up, in the order recommended by Linksys. The conenction was restored, immediately, but then at 7 a.m., it was down again. At 3 p.m., I was able to log on, but at 3:30 p.m. the wireless signal was down. A firmware upgrade was attempted but the system crashed.
Does anyone have any suggestions or comments? I don't know what else to do, other than perhaps buy another router.

I'm in the same boat. I have 3 other notebooks in the house that are dropping connectivity right now. Had to pull out the older 54G router to use until I can get things sorted out, but the signal strength is not as strong so I am dropping connections because of that. It has to be a bug somewhere that needs to be found and fixed.
fayenyc

When I e-mailed Tech Support recently I was given instructions about what to do if the connection goes down to try to re-set it, but no one has been able to tell me why this happens.  If you find out any information, please let me know. 
toomanydonuts

[ Edited ]
Since your wireless speed and connection problems are intermittant, this suggests that you may be getting intermittant radio wave interference.  This can be caused by 2.4 GHz wireless phones (yours or your neighbor's), your neighbor's wireless system, etc.

For more information on how to correct this problem, see my previous post at:

Message Edited by toomanydonuts on 11-03-200612:37 AM