wanderers

myrouter.local not working (EA 4500)

I thought that you're supposed to be able to type myrouter.local in order to get to the router BIOS.  It does not work for me; instead it generates a Google search.  Is there a way to get that to work? 

jsrobison

Re: myrouter.local not working (EA 4500)

wanderers wrote:

I thought that you're supposed to be able to type myrouter.local in order to get to the router BIOS.  It does not work for me; instead it generates a Google search.  Is there a way to get that to work? 

Stop using OpenDNS or a similar DNS server.  The reason it works is because the router intercepts the DNS error.

With OpenDNS or the like there will always be a valid reply.

wanderers

Ok I will try that.  The only reason I care is that the security certificate inside the router seems to be registered to myrouter.local so I get an error message when I navigate to the router using its IP address.  I wanted to see whether the error goes away if get there by typing myrouter.local.

Expert
zee29

So what type of error message are you getting when you use the router ip?

Expert
Expert

wanderers wrote:

Ok I will try that.  The only reason I care is that the security certificate inside the router seems to be registered to myrouter.local so I get an error message when I navigate to the router using its IP address.  I wanted to see whether the error goes away if get there by typing myrouter.local.

It's basically a dummy certificate. http://myrouter.local will never work.

JohnLyn814

gregoryspencer

i get opps my router can not be found

Nate2

jsrobison wrote:

wanderers wrote:

Stop using OpenDNS or a similar DNS server.  The reason it works is because the router intercepts the DNS error.

With OpenDNS or the like there will always be a valid reply.

They could have just added myrouter.local to the hosts file with 192.168.1.1 as it's IP address instead of intercepting DNS errors.

I use OpenDNS too but I alway use 192.168.1.1 (I remember some numbers better than names. Lol! ) to get to my router.

Nate2

I use 192.168.1.1 and I don't get any kind of error message.

wanderers wrote:

noscivic

did you guyss ever get this ssue resolvoled, because i'm going through the same exact things?

thanks