Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
fyreboi08

need help on how to secure my wireless connection.....

im new to the wireless thing and im trying to figure all this stuff out. i bought the wireless g 2.4 broadband router  because i have a wireless notebook and everthing has been going fine until recently. i have excellent connection but my speed keeps going up and down but it use to stay on 54 Mbps or 48 Mbps (my notebook connection) can tell me whats wrong on that part? Another issue is how do i manually go about securing my connection because i feel like anybody can use my connection  and that my desktop computer that houses the connection is vulnerable. All these problems started ever since a suspicious vehicle was stopping around my house. please help
vai_fan

Re: need help on how to secure my wireless connection.....

Hi…First of all hardwire your computer with your router and then Login in router setup page through your internet explorer by typing in 192.168.1.1 in Internet Explorer > address bar > skip username and enter ‘admin’ as password > click ok. You will get router setup page in front of you, click Wireless Tab > click 2nd Sub Tab under Wireless as ‘Wireless Security’, enable wireless security, select WEP and security mode, wireless encryption level as 64 Bit 10 hex digits, and type in 10 digit number without any spaces, symbols and alphabets in WEP Key 1 box. And that’s your wireless network key or password. Do not change any other settings on that page and click save settings and then exit the page. As a result your wireless network is secured. Use that 10 digit number when your wireless computer will demand it while connecting to your wireless network.
fyreboi08

Re: need help on how to secure my wireless connection.....

thanks, i truly thank you for the information. the only part i was  confused on is the hardwire part, lol i was trying to solve it. i went on head and used the WPA2 personal security. i got another question, right now it is not doing but how do i correct my computer if the speed of my wireless keeps going up and down. it would be 54 Mbps and it would continue to down to 18 Mbps