Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
dalepep

need to unplug router several times a day

over the last few days I have had to unplug and then plug in my router several times a day in order to make connection to the internet, has anyone else have this problem, if so how do you fix it?
stardotstar

Re: need to unplug router several times a day

Had a client who was complaining about daily resets, replaced router and problem went away.

labman

I have to unplug and plug every 2 or 3 days. Is this normal? Should I try to replace under warranty?   This is my first router.
HDDIN

Mind to give more details?

You cannot get WAN IP Address from the ISP? Or the wireless client cannot get connected to the router?

Which model are you using?
labman

I am using a WRT54G. Sorry but I don't know what the rest of your question means. All I know is that I cannot use my web browser (server not found), the orange light on the Cisco systems goes out, and the LAN light on my Hughes Directway DW7000 modem goes out. I have just gotten a satellite system since I live out in the country without any hope of cable modem or DSL. I have the router set for DHCP since that is enabled on my modem. My nearest neighbor is .5 miles away. When I unplug and replug everything comes back. Thanks for your help.
dalepep

Linksys replaced my router and I still have the same problem.  I am at a loss, thanks for your suggestion.
Max
Max

All,

I posted this in another tread as well.. wanted to get as many opinions as possible.. 

I am also having the same issue on the WRT54Gx2… reflashed, hard reset, called tech support, ISP, wired or wireless, leave the wired PC on , turn it off, no cordless phones, no interference, full bars, changed security protocol, bands, shows it is hooked up, yet will not work. Not over heating. Worked on wireless not on wired… at the same time, to recycle I would kick off the wireless that is working, so I was dead in the water… arrrgggg  .

Happens everyday. Yesterday, unplugged and recycled about 10 times.

Any suggestions from anyone would be appreciated. First time posting here..

Disgraceful that linksys does not step in.. obvious issue on numerous boards.

Thanks again for any suggestions..

akuster

[ Edited ]
Mine does the exact same thing.  It's the 2.4 GHz 802.11b (BEFW11S4) broadband router.  I don't have problems with the hard wired PC, but the laptop loses it's connection quite frequently.  Sometimes it won't connect after booting up...other times I'll lose my connection while online (full signal at the time).  It will also drop to 1.0 mbps for speed, which might as well be disconnected.  The only thing that fixes this is resetting the router.  It's getting very old.  It happens at least once a day if not more.  My first Linksys router didn't make it a year before it quit and this one seems to be on the same road.

Any experiences?

Message Edited by OnnagokorO on 08-30-2006 09:16 PM

I just posted a my own thread and noticed this one. I am having very similar problems with the WRT55AG router. I lose connection to the router by wired and wireless connections. The DSL modem seems to remain connected but I lose all communication with the internet and other computers. A reboot of the router usually helps except for 1 time where I had to reboot the modem as well. I personally have an older wireless B router at home and never have any issues except for the WAN port going out once a month or so. I've tried to return the router but was told that it was an older model and that LINKSYS will have to take care of it. Funny thing is that the model and SKU #'s match on the boxes in BEST BUY but since mine is the older style(meaning that it's a fatter look) the manager says it's not the same. I guess paying for the extended warranty doesn't mean anything if the look of the part you paid for changes.

Where's the LINKSYS I remember? Good customer service and parts.
Andy123

I think I have the same problem as you (and many other people on the forums).

I have a WRT56GS, running the latest available firmware from Linksys. My laptop has a Linksys speedbooster PCMCIA card.

I seem to lose contact with the router from 3-5 times a day. Pinging the router yields no response. My cable modem is still up, as I can still get access to the net if I connect directly to the modem. Only a reset of the router will get the router working again.

This only happens when I'm using wireless. A direct wired connection has not brought down the router.

I've tried putting a fan on the router to cool it off, cloning my MAC address per another thread, all to no avail.

I've also been running a constant ping to the router (ping -t ROUTER.IP.ADDRESS), and I've been getting from 3-10% loss, which is quite high given I'm only a couple of feet away from the router!

So what's going on? Anybody from the forum or Linksys have a response?