rockguitar130

new WRT54G2 firmware

I just bought this router yesterday. Can someone link me the most up to date firmware, and explain how to install it?

Thanks in advance

I bought this for my gaming lap top, and so far Just play 20 feet away with half a wall in between my laptop and router make me frequently disconnect, and play with high latency.
binky

Re: new WRT54G2 firmware

Well logon to www.linksys.com/download & once the firmware is downloaded you could open the setup page of the router using the ip 192.168.1.1 by putting the password as admin & then click the Administration tab & click the upgrade tab by browsing the firmware file & you will be able to upgrade the firmware also would suggest you to try resetting the router reset button in such a way that power
light is blinking on the router & then do a complete network power

roastedchips

my Cisco Linksys WRT54G2 V1 I bought December 2008 had more recent firmware than is offered at www.linksys.com/downloads even though the firmware date in the router status page is earlier, March 2008, than the date specified for the download firmware, May 2008. When you load the download firmware into the router the router status page tells you the firmware you just installed is dated January 2008 then you realise the version number is earlier too. So , where is the latest firmware to download because it is not on the Linksys website?
samgan

place

jpinsdg

Yeah um I would love to help you out with setup and config of your router but to ask that for free just would take too much of my time to explain to someone who is going to have to invest the time or pay for someone to do it for them and quickly explain the basics.  Sorry time is money these days.  If you really have to do it yourself and be the big shot then go pull out the manual.  And get on a Google search engine and teach yourself the nuts and bolts of the myriad of protocols and configuration settings and compatibility issues / sync issues with various DSL and Cable routers.  What they require/limit/exclude.  Oh and satellite internet.  Oh jeeze.  Yeah this is not that time you hooked up your new DVD player to your big screen and then ported to the stereo system.  This is for the big boys.  Oh yeah.  (initial setup/config/secure/flash firmware/working time with 11 years computer experience using Linksys WRT54G2 with motorola surfboard cable modem)  8+ hours over two days. 

May the force be with you young jedi.

-J

bennor

The latest firmware for the WRT54G2 can be downloaded from http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/lbc/WRT54G2. When that link loads, click on "Downloads", then select your router version for the available downloads. Please note that there are three different router versions (version number located on the underside of the router). Use only the firmware for your version. Upgrading with a different version could either cause the router to become unresponsive or fail to operate properly.

The Firmware Upgrade Instructions can be found on the firmware download page. It is recommended that if you decide to upgrade the firmware to do so via a wired computer. Avoid using a wireless computer to perform the firmware upgrade. After the firmware upgrade perform a hard reset. Hold in the reset button on the back of the router for at least 30 seconds (with the router powered on), then log in and configure as needed.

Directions for configuring a router for either DSL or Cable modem:

Setting up a Linksys Router for DSL Internet Connection

Setting Up a Router with Cable Internet Service

fsboring

sorry

Beezlegrunk

jpinsdg

[ Edited ]

A year has passed since you wrote your comment — are you still as much of shmoe now as you were back then ...?

Beezlegrunk

Even though each comment has a reply button ...

[ Edited ]

... Cisco's comment system puts all replies at the bottom — that makes sense ...!

UnTwistedTruth.com

Re: jpinsdg

Even another few months later, I just had to comment too.  Millions of home users just read the instructions and use the internet.  If jpinsdg took eight hours, then he never gets hired more than once.  Sheessh, what a dipswitch.