Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Lindsey

new computer, don't know linksys password anymore

I just bought a new MacBook and although my linksys router in my apartment connects to my PC automatically and my new Mac recognizes the signal, none of the passwords I try work. I haven't had to type a password in for a year with my PC, so I don't even remember what it is. I have written down two of the 16 digit passwords that came up when setting up linksys with my PC but neither work now either. I have tried typing in the IP Address and changing the password but I need to know it to change it and my MAC won't even let me connect to the internet at all to do that. How can I change my password and get it to work with my new computer?!? Thanks!
Lindsey

Re: new computer, don't know linksys password anymore

Oh and I have a linksys WRT54GS... Thanks!
EdMiR

Are you talking about when you're installing it?
Lindsey

Do I have to install Linksys on my new computer? In the available wireless networks shown by my new computer, my linksys connection shows up but then when my new computer asks me for a network password to access that wireless network, nothing I try works.
brandy

you can check your network key in the setup page of the router. In the address bar of the internet explorer type 192.168.1.1. In the setup page of the router click the "wireless" tab and click on "wireless security" - this is where you can check your network key.
Nightshade

Usually if you hit the reset button it will clear out the passwords and set it to the default password. You will have to set your router back up again.
Ricewind

To get network key of wireless network, connect your computer to one of the four ports on router using ethernet cable. Open setup page of router by typing http://192.168.1.1 in browser’s address bar, and typing password as "admin" and no user name. Use your password if you have changed it earlier. Go to wireless tab. Go to wireless security sub-tab. If security mode is wpa or wpa2 note down passphrase/shared key, if security mode is WEP note down wep key number 1, This will be your network key, for connecting to wireless network.
Lindsey

When I type http://192.168.1.1 into either computers browser window, it tells me that it can't find that page. ugh! Getting very frustrated... When I push the set-up button and it flashes white for a minute, my computer can connect to the wireless network (shows up without a lock) but after the router stops flashing, I loose the connection again. Thanks for your help! Any other ideas??