Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
zermelo

no internet connection

I just bought a new EA4500 and I am not able to make it connect to the Internet.

I cannot use CISCO CONNECT to configure the device, as my laptops have preinstalled Lenovo Access Connection,  that my company does not allow me to uninstall.

Appaerently I configured the network correctly (both wired and wireless): I can access my network drive easily, but no Internet connection.

I returned to my old Linksys WAG200G and everything is doing well... is there anything I miss???

SuspendedFate

Re: no internet connection

Are you by chance on a cable connection? Generally cable connections authenticate the connection by the devices MAC Address, in which case you'll need to either get your ISP to change the MAC Address to the EA4500's, or have the EA4500 clone your old router's MAC Address.

fresh19

[ Edited ]

Have your computer connected straight to the modem and get the IP address so we will know how to manually configure the router. You can check this site for the instructions, http://kb.linksys.com/Linksys/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=a417e637f2a44cb795163ab5fa68667c_4766.xml&pid=80&r...

zermelo

I am not 100% sure I understood, anyhow - when I am connected to the Internet via my old Linksys (as I am now) - the IP address of my PC is 192.168.1.101.

Thanks in advance!

zermelo

Not sure I understood... anyhow:

I am on ADSL in Italy; I just switched provider (now Telecom Italia) and decided to buy a faster gateway (the previous provider's contract included the gateway as well).

I was not able to and install the EA4500, but I found in my cellar an old LINKSYS 300 that I was not using since years, I reconfigured it at everything worked in a while,.

As far as MAC addresses... I do not know either how to get them, or to "clone" the EA4500 one.

jaymay

I believe you have a dsl internet connection typ from Telecom Italia. If you connect your computer directly to the modem from Telecom Italia, what is the IP address of your computer? If it’s in the range of 192.168.1.x, you shouldn’t have any problems with the internet since the EA4500 router is a smart router, it will automatically change its IP to another range to avoid possible IP conflict. With dsl connection though, there have two usual types of connection from your internet provider; either dynamic or PPPoE. This link will guide you how to manually setup your router if you have dsl internet service: Setting up a Linksys router for DSL Internet connection.

zermelo

I am afraid to ask...

Why should I need a modem at all... or...  did I make such an unforgivable mistake?

I mean, does the EA4500 not have  integrated modem capabilities????  

SuspendedFate

[ Edited ]

My bad, I should've looked up what the Linksys WAG200G was in the first place.

Yes, you need a modem to be able to use the EA4500 as it is only a router and not a modem-router combination like the WAG200G is. That being said, you can set the WAG200G into bridge mode and use it as only a modem and the EA4500 as your router.

thebluemamba_24

zermelo wrote:

I am afraid to ask...

Why should I need a modem at all... or...  did I make such an unforgivable mistake?

I mean, does the EA4500 not have  integrated modem capabilities????  

I think you might have mistaken the EA4500 as to have the capability of the WAG200G. Though the EA4500 is more powerful than the WAG200G, the EA4500 functions only as a router whereas the WAG200G functions as an ADSL gateway or a modem/router. That is the reason why that some users above were asking you if you have a modem. If you still have the old WAG200G, configure that as a modem (preferably on bridge mode) then cascade the new EA4500 to it. If in case that you no longer have the WAG200G then you can either: ask a modem from your ISP or consider getting an ADSL gateway (e.g X3000).

zermelo

Thanks a lot !!!!!!!!!

Just shame on me anyhow. :smileyembarrassed:

I hurriedly bought the device last Sunday, had my wife waiting out of the shop...

I looked quickly on the specs of a few devices, looked for a Linksys, it took no more than 10 mins...

I will (tonight) try to use the old gateway as a modem only, I just wonder whether it makes sense or if the overall speed will be affected by the weakest link.