Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
adamehalt

power outage- now wireless router doesn't send signal

I live in Georgia where a string of tornados just hit a few weeks ago. My power was out for a few hours and my cable down(which i use for internet). I have a wireless linksys router(not sure of the model at this time). My internet connection is fine when not plugged in through the router/ directly to computer from d-link modem. It still works when plugged in via router however the signal isn't as strong as a direct connection(much weaker than before the storm strange enough). It is even slower when i plug my xbox 360 up to it via ethernet cord which isn't changed even when the internet speed is increased.

All lights on the router are constantly flashing green, by all i mean each light corresponding to a cord plugged into the back. My laptop that has had no problems connecting before or to any other wireless network cannot even find it when sitting in the same room as the router. The router also is having problems resetting. I'm not sure what to do, and i'm not sure what to ask, but does anyone have any experience with similar problems?
Thanks!
-Adam
toomanydonuts

Re: power outage- now wireless router doesn't send signal

[ Edited ]
What router are you using?

Your router may already be dead.  But there is always some hope.  Try the following:

You need to try again to reset the router to factory defaults.

To reset your router to factory defaults, use the following procedure:

1) Power down all computers, the router, and the modem, and unplug them from the wall.
2) Disconnect all wires from the router.
3) Power up the router and allow it to fully boot (1-2 minutes).
4) Press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds, then release it, then let the router reset and reboot (2-3 minutes).
5) Power down the router.
6) Connect one computer by wire to port 1 on the router (NOT to the internet port).
7) Power up the router and allow it to fully boot (1-2 minutes).
8) Power up the computer (if the computer has a wireless card, make sure it is off).
9) Try to ping the router. To do this, click the "Start" button > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt. A black DOS box will appear. Enter the following: "ping 192.168.1.1" (no quotes), and hit the Enter key. You will see 3 or 4 lines that start either with "Reply from ... " or "Request timed out." If you see "Reply from ...", your computer has found your router.
10) Open your browser and point it to 192.168.1.1. This will take you to your router's login page. Leave the user name blank, and in the password field, enter "admin" (with no quotes). This will take you to your router setup page. Note the version number of your firmware (usually listed near upper right corner of screen). Exit your browser.

If you get this far without problems, try the setup disk (or setup the router manually, if you prefer), and see if you can get your router setup and working.

If you cannot get "Reply from ..." in step 9 above, your router is dead.

If you get a reply in step 9, but cannot complete step 10, then either your router is dead or the firmware is corrupt. In this case, use the Linksys tftp.exe program to try to reload your router with the latest firmware. After reloading the firmware, repeat the above procedure starting with step 1.

If you need additional help, please state your ISP, the make and model of your modem, your router's firmware version, and the results of steps 9 and 10. Also, if you get any error messages, copy them exactly and report back.

Please let me know how things turn out for you.

Message Edited by toomanydonuts on 05-30-2008 03:24 AM
scrooge

Re: power outage- now wireless router doesn't send signal

Try upgrading the Firmware fo the router - Now click on the 'Administration' tab- Then click on the 'Firmware Upgrade' sub tab- Here click on 'Browse' to select the extracted/uncompressed .img or .bin file and click on "Upgrade" After doing the firmware upgrade you have to reset this router again for 30 seconds. Reset the router 1. Press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds. 2. Then, unplug the power keep holding down the reset button for another 30 Seconds. 3. Plug back the power back in, and keep holding down the reset button for 30 Seconds. 4. Release the reset button. To recover the backup settings of this router, please follow the given steps :- After doing the reset, try to access the setup page of this router using 192.168.1.1. Click on the tab "Administration" and click on the sub tab "Config management", now click on browse and select the "config" file which we saved on this computer. Now click on restore, now the router will reboot itself. Please turn OFF the power of the router and the modem. After 5 seconds turn ON the modem first and then the router. Configuration for Cable connection after doing firmware upgrade :: Before doing the following steps, you have to connect the modem to the router's Internet Port and the computer to the Ethernet Port Number 1. Please access the setup page of the router by launching an Internet Explorer and type on the address bar, 192.168.1.1 and press enter. When it prompts for the username and password, leave the username field empty and provide password as ?admin "" all in lower cases and then click on ok. Now click on the 'Administration' tab- Then click on the 'Firmware Upgrade' sub tab- Here click on 'Browse' to select the extracted/uncompressed .img or .bin file and click on "Upgrade" After doing the firmware upgrade you have to reset this router again for 30 seconds. Reset the router 1. Press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds. 2. Then, unplug the power keep holding down the reset button for another 30 Seconds. 3. Plug back the power back in, and keep holding down the reset button for 30 Seconds. 4. Release the reset button. & you will be able to go ONLINE!!!!