jfbernard1

"Wireless Network Connection" doesn't have a valid IP configuration

[ Edited ]

I have a new Windows 7 laptop which cannot connect to internet through my WRK54G Linksys router. Other laptops can connect through the same router, and the same laptop has connected  through other routers. The laptop has it's TCP/IPv6 and TCP/IPv4 internet protocols set to get addresses automaticaly.

ipconfig shows that the IPv6 autoconfiguration address is 169.254.28.183 instead of 192.168.1.XXX.  I tried the ipconfig/release and ipconfig/renew commands, as recommended by the knowledge base, but got the following error message: No operation can be performed on wireless network connection 2 while it has its media disconnected.

Can you help with this problem?

Jean

UnknownHero

Re: "Wireless Network Connection" doesn't have a valid IP configuration

Hi Jean,

Do you have wireless security enabled on the WRK54G like WPA or maybe wireless MAC filter?

oook

You can connect to the wireless network on other computers that means the wireless on the router is working fine.

Open the setup page of the router.

Go to the wireless tab and click on Wireless security sub tab. Check the wireless security settings on the router. Make sure that you have the correct password for the wireless network.

Go to Wireless MAC filter sub tab and make sure that it is disabled.

Open Network and sharing center on your Windows 7 Computer. Go to Manage wireless Network. You will fine your wireless network saved in the list. Highlight your wireless network and click Remove at the top. Remove your wireless network from the list.

Try to connect to the wireless network again and enter the correct network key.

Check the IPv4 IP address on wireless network connection.

If you are still getting the Auto configuration IP address ( 169.254.x.x. ) then assign a static IP address to the wireless network connection.

How to Assign a static IP address?

Let's consider the IP address of your router is 192.168.1.1.

Open Network and sharing center. Go to Change Adapter settings. Right click on wireless network connection and go to properties.  select internet protocol V4 TCP/IP and click on properties. Select Use the following IP address. Change the IP address to 192.168.1.10, subnet mask to 255.255.255.0, default gateway to 192.168.1.1, preferred DNS server 192.168.1.1 and alternate DNS server to 4.2.2.2. Click OK and click close.

Try to access the Internet.

jfbernard1

Hi oook,

Wireless security was enabled and the correct WEP key was used.

Mac address filtering was disabled.

And removing the wireless network and reconnecting to the router gave again a  169.254.x.x IPv4 IP address.

Assigning a static IP address as you indicated was successfull in giving internet access.

Thank you very much for that!

However, how will the computer behave when trying to connect to other network routers with these static IP settings? Are there any downside to this solution of assigning a static IP address?

And would you have any idea why i had this problem with the dynamic IP address setting? As i said before, this  (Windows 7) laptop was able to connect with dynamic IP address to other routers, and other computers could connect to my router with dynamic IP address. It is as if it is this particular pair of laptop and router that is problematic with dynamic IP address setting .

In the Network and sharing centre\Change Adapter settings window, there was  my main wireless network connection and there also was the "Microsoft Virtual Wifi Miniport Adapter" which was labeled "Wireless Network Connection 2". Could this have contributed to the problem? Deactivating it didn't solve the problem though.

Thanks again!

daimyo21

Thank you soooo much.  You dont understand how stressful this was.  THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

muckymucks

Hi. I just wanted to thank oook for the helpful information. My laptop stopped connecting to my router all of a sudden and it was very frustrating trying to figure it out. Fortunately, at 4:35 in the morning I came across oook's post and it finally fixed my problem. Thank you very much!

jojoharv

I tried everything here. I have been trying for a week to get my wirelss working on my Windows 7 machine, but I still connotation access the Internet. Please help!
jojoharv

That is "cannot"
tloffman

The exact same thing happened to me this evening using the WAP54G and Windows7 Pro. The Windows software did an update, then I was unable to use the Internet. I was able to log into the AP but was not able to resolve the internet. My AutoConfiguration IPv4 address said 169.254.XX.XX

Once I followed the instructions here and reset my IP to 192.168.0.106 etc. I was able to resolve the net. I logged into my router and found that it was trying to assign 192.168.0.106 to my laptop, so that's what I used in the IP configuration, and it worked.

Prior to this Windows7 software update I was able to use the internet with this AP with no problems.

However, when I use the laptop elsewhere I'm going to have to use auto config, and then this will force me to assign the above IP all over again.

So, definitely, something is no longer working between the updated Windows7 and the autoconfig with IPv4.  

tloffman

Followup to above: setup static DHCP in my router for my laptop as I did for my other computers on the network. Connection gone - completely. Nothing. Am back to "Wireless Network Connection doesn't have a valid IP Configuration". DHCP is not enabled for Wireless Network Connection.