Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
lookout4001

relocated wireless wrt54gs from uk to australia

Hi All

I have the wireless working fine - except it thinks it is at my old UK address - when I go to google maps on my phone it takes me back to the last UK address where I used this router - some years ago.  I have moved since within the UK and now within Australia but the wirelss hasn't.  What do I need to do to make the wireless know it is in a new place???

Thanks in advance.

Expert
Expert

Re: relocated wireless wrt54gs from uk to australia

Buy a new router.

Your phone probably uses an internet service to find the approximate position. This service uses wireless access points in the proximity. Your WRT has been found and entered into their database in the U.K.

For example, Google screens for access points on their Street View cars. If you move the access point they won't know until they come by your new place. If you are unlucky, they never know.

If you are lucky, the service used by your phone has an online form where you can remove the old, incorrect entry or update it. But it depends on that service.
lookout4001

The router seems to be working fine for internet access.  So I'm not sure there is anything wrong with the router - except a setting that needs updating (but I can't figure out which).

The phone knows where it is when using the cell network to find it's locaiton (3G) but when it connects only via the wireless then it identifies itself at the old UK address.

so - 3G phone = OK; wireless = not OK.

Expert
Expert

As I wrote before: the router has nothing to do with that. There is no setting on the WRT which you could change.

The problem is the internet location service used by your phone which found your router at the old place and now returns the old location for the MAC address of your WRT.

3G gets the approximate location from the 3G cell tower to which it is connected. It does not need this internet location service.

It's a problem of your phone and the internet service it uses to find its position when connected via wireless. Find out which service they use and you may find a way to update the location...
lookout4001

Does that even apply if it is a different phone and SIM card??? Very confused - the only constant is the wireless (modem is different too).

Expert
Expert

A different phone may have a different way how to determine the current position or using a different location service which never found your router in the old place. Thus it may be different. Maybe not. No one can tell. It depends on what service the phone uses and on whats in the database of that service.

If it has a GPS it will eventually get the precise position.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the SIM card.

How do you connect your phone to a modem?
lookout4001

There is the modem; the wireless (wrt54gs); and the phone.  The phone picks up the wi-fi signal from the wireless.  The only bit of equipment that has been anywhere near the address the phone now thinks it is at is the wireless.  However, the phone in google maps; ovi/nokia maps as well as foursquare app all think that the phone is in the UK - when the phone has never been there.  The only bit of equipment that has been in the UK is the wireless - and it is showing the exact address point that the wireless used to live at.  Therefore, there must be something within the wet54gs that makes it think it is located in the UK.  There is no way the phone could think it is somewhere it has never ever been unless the wireless is telling it so.

Expert
Expert

One last time: the problem is with the phone and the internet location service it uses. The WRT does not tell the phone where it is. It's the internet location service for a faster position lock.

The location service still has the MAC address of your WRT registered with your old place. That's the problem.

1. An application on your phone requests the current location.
2. The phone tries to determine its current location.
3. If it's only on 3G (wifi probably disabled) it uses the only information it gets from the 3G cell towers.
4. If it's on wifi and has internet it sends the list of wireless access points close by to the internet location service.
5. The internet location service looks up the MAC address(es) requested and returns the coordinates of those access points in the database (which have determined by this service company in drive-by scans before).
6. Your phone thinks it's at the location determined by the internet location service.
7. If it's an assisted GPS the phone would use this first position lock and then uses GPS to find the exact position to speed up the initial position lock.(Without assisted GPS the initial positioning would take much longer).

It's not the WRTs fault that the internet location service used by Nokia has out-dated information. The WRT does not know anything about it's location. The WRT does not tell your phone anything about it's location.

It's incorrect information of the internet location service used by Nokia. Find out what they use and maybe you are able to update the information or get the incorrect location of your WRT removed. If it's removed and you don't have any other (known) wireless access points close by your phone won't be able to detect its location using WiFi and depending on how they have implemented it may not be able to find its location at all...

And again: if it bothers you and you don't have a way to communicate with this internet location service the only solution to your problem is to buy a new router. The new MAC address is (hopefully) not registered with this internet location service and thus won't give any position for your new router. (Of course there is a risk of an MAC address being reused...)

Read the internet: you'll find reports of people getting back refurbished access points which all of a sudden make their phone think it's somewhere else (i.e. at the previous owner's place...).
lookout4001

so from what you're saying - the issue is that the wireless has the wrong MAC address??? i have no idea what this means - but how do i change the MAC address on the wireless to it's new location???

can i find the MAC address within the modem settings???

Expert
Expert

Again: it's not the WRT fault. The MAC address is the hardware address of the wireless in the WRT. That's not wrong. That's the MAC address and it doesn't change. It's fixed. It comes with the wireless.

The problem is that the internet location service thinks the wireless access point with that MAC address is in the U.K.

There is nothing you can do about this.

If you register a device with it's serial number in the U.K. on the manufacturer website and later move that device to Australia, the manufacturer still thinks the device is in the U.K. If they would use the serial number in some way to locate the device it would give a location in the U.K. because that's what they have in the database.

So one last time: nothing is wrong with the WRT. The WRT does not have nor know any location.

It's the internet location service which associates access points with location even though access points can move to different places.

The problem is not your WRT. It's the location service.
The MAC is correct. The problem is the location service.

What's so difficult to accept that the problem is not with the WRT but with the location service and your phone and how they are trying to derive a location from information on a device which unfortunately can move, even to different countries like in your case...

The location service is flawed. It uses information which they assume to be static even though it can move... Until they scan your new neighborhood and find the new correct location for your access point they won't know that it moved unless they have a web site where you can tell them...