wiremast

router and access point connection

Tried to get smart today, took and set up my network with a wrt54gs the other day and still have some headaches after finally getting things to work. but my idea was to take my old wrt54g router and place it at the other end of my house for the wii system. I took the old router and changed the setting from gateway to router and gave it a new internal ip address. Everything worked fine, all the wired and wirless computers including the wii worked great, but when I went to my computer, where I installed the easylink program, it showed I changed networks. Do the setup crap again and it can not find the router but showed the old one as the new netork and could not connect, could not get internet or anything at this computer. But every other computer throughout the house was working great and connected to the net with no problem, the only one not connecting is the only one with easylink keeping it from connecting.
So I disconnect the added router/access point and had to run setup again with easy link, once it was up again I reconnect the old router and everything was great, showed the old as an access point and all the devices on the network. So things are great until I close my lid and my computer goes into standby, when I open it up I have the same problem again, but this time I know what to do, and I find as long as I keep this computer on all is great, shut it down all others equipment still works fine all except for the one computer with easylink on it.

Any ideas on to resolve this, I know people in the forums have said for a long time you can't use the two routers the way I have them set up, but it works great, the only problem is easylink keeps screwing me up on the one computer, if I moved the program to another computer it will do the same to that one and leave this one connecting just fine. So far my experience with easylink has been horrible, the only reason it was installed was because the box said it must be installed prior to anything else. before I just plugged things in and put in the settings I needed and life went on.
Ricewind

Re: router and access point connection

You can reset the device & observe the light status ....
If seems solid then you can start working on the router ...
wiremast

The lights are good to go, the port lights are solid, power light solid, and so on. The only flickering is traffic going through the unit as it is working. Did the reset and updated the firmware on both as needed. The setup I have works perfect and does all it should until I turn off the computer i installed easylink on to install the new wrt54gs.

Once I didsconnect the wrt54g(used as acess point and shows as acess point in easylink software) and re-setup the computer used to install the network software, then reconnect the second router everything is perfect until I shut off the setup computer, when restarted it says I am connected to a new network and to setup or cancel for the new network. If I do setup it does not recognize anything, if I hit cancel all the other computers on setup still work except for the setup computer. so I either do the setup each time or leave my computer on constantly.
Ricewind

Donot run the setup everytime .....also you should not have to leave the computer turned ON .....
I will suggest you to check the Ip address of that computer on which you are doing setup ..... .
Also check that if it shows connected to the Access Point network or not ....

wiremast

Unless i disconnect the second router( access point) I can not connect to the network or web, with this computer after shutdown. If I do run setup again while it is connected I am not able to connect at all as the software shows a new network, but will not connect to it. When I do disconnect the second router and run setup it all comes back to normal, then I can re-connect the second router and it all works perfect. The second router comes up registering as an access point along with all other computers on the network. Again, at any time the network operates fine for network connection and web access except for this one computer the easylink software is on. The routers each have a seperate IP address so there is no conflict with that, the second router was changed from gateway setting to router, the main router is still at gateway. Each computer and device has a seperate IP address as well and shows up as such with easylink software.
Ricewind

Hey,

I think you can try to update the firmware of the router, to check if that stops connection dropping. To update the firmware of router try this:

Go to www.linksys.com/download and select correct model number and version number. Download the firmware and save it on your computer.

Check the file it should be firmware image file like .bin etc. If it is a compressed zip file extract it to get firmware image file.

Open setup page of router by typing http://192.168.1.1 in browser’s address bar, and typing password as "admin" and no user name.

Go to administration tab there

Go to firmware update sub-tab there

Browse for the firmware image file and click update

When update completes turn off modem & router.

After 2 minutes turn on modem and after 2 more minutes turn on router & it will definately work!!!

wiremast

Been there, done that a couple of times. once o update then again to make sure it was not a corrupted download.

I also have added more computers to the network and they all work as well at all times, the only one still not working is the one with the easylink software after reboot that tells me another network is involved while none of the other computers have the problem at any time even after they have been restarted.