Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
sarahhh21

router doesn't see computer when it's connected with a cable to one of the Ethernet ports

Hi,

I recently moved and I'm trying to set up my WRT54G2 router with no luck. Cable modem works, I can get online when I hook up the laptop directly to it. When I hook up the router to the modem, though, and the computer to one of the numbered ports, the number doesn't light up and I can't get online. Tried different ports, different cables, rebooting, resetting, nothing.  I can't get any further with wireless setup until I get past this point. 

Any ideas?

Many thanks!!

Wizzard

Re: router doesn't see computer when it's connected with a cable to one of the Ethernet ports

What do you see on the Local area connection of your computer?

Does it say ' Network cable unplugged'?

You can access the internet when you connect the laptop to the modem.

Connect the same laptop to the Ethernet port 1 on the router with the same Ethernet cable. Check if you see the port 1 light on the router. If not then press and hold the reset button on the router for 30 seconds. Release the reset button and wait for 30 seconds. Power cycle the router.

Open Network connection on your laptop and check the Local area connection status.

If you have wireless laptop then try to search for Linksys unsecured wireless network.

sarahhh21

Re: router doesn't see computer when it's connected with a cable to one of the Ethernet ports

Okay, I searched for unsecured Linksys wireless network and it shows up on my laptop. Now what do I do?

Thanks so much for your help!

sarahhh21

P.S. I still can't get on the internet via router. Tried power cycling, reset.

dibbler

Connect the computer with the Ethernet cable .

Open the setup page of the Linksys router using the IP Address : 192.168.1.1 ( User name = blank , Password = admin ) .

Follow this link to configure the router with Cable Internet Service Provider .