rphilliops7@woh.rr.com

router not communicating with cable modem

I have a befw11s4 ver 3 router that has functioned well for over 5 years and the other day we had a lightning strike that wiped out our cable modem.  The modem was replaced but the router seems to have a problem.  First, the power led does not lite up but the WLAN Act and WLAN link led's are ok.(green)  When I try to setup the router with the CD the I get a message that the router will not communicate with the internet and stops.  If you connect the computer directly to a access point the led's (link/act & full/col) and you can ping and talk to it.

So, is there a way to determine if the router was destroyed by the lighgtning strike or if the router just needs to be reloaded?  Thanks in advance for your replies.

Mort

Re: router not communicating with cable modem

Press and hold the reset button for 60 seconds...Release the reset button...Unplug the power cable from your router, wait for 30 seconds and re-connect the power cable...Now check if the Power Light is ON on the router or not...? If there is solid power light the, you can reconfigure your router....If there is still no power light then check if you are getting any ip address from the router....

Click Start >> All Programs >> Accessories >> Command Prompt...A black box will appear(Command Prompt)...In the Command Prompt window type ipconfig and press 'Enter'...Look for Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection IP Address , Subnet Mask and Default Gateway...

IP Address should be 192.168.1.x, Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0, Default Gateway : 192.168.1.1 (assuming your router is 192.168.1.1)...

If you get the above mentioned IP Address, Subnet and Gateway Address then you should ping the Gateway, type ping 192.168.1.1 and press Enter..If you are getting 4 replies then...you can manually setupyour router...Ifyou are not getting the replies then, you router must have gone bad.

If your Internet Service Providor is Cable follow this link

If your Internet Service Providor is DSL follow this link