sarah81

router pin?

Trying to set up new network. My laptop recognizes the network, but when I try to configure it asks for the router PIN which is supposedly on a label on the product and/or in the documentation. Any idea where it is?
jetbars07

Re: router pin?

Hello Sarah!

Possibly, your router has enabled WiFi Protected Setup which a wireless security feature of this router. To verify the PIN for wireless connection, logon to the router's setup page thru http://192.168.1.1 using Internet Explorer or Firefox. Go to the Wireless tab or page and on Basic Wireless Settings, there you can find the PIN. That is on number 3 for WiFi Protected Setup information.

:smileyhappy:

for heads up! <<<call_me_jam>>>

helm

Well the PIN number is Usually on the router itself on the back side and its a 8 digit number if that works well and good.

If that doesn't work.

Open an Internet Explorer browser page on your wired computer(desktop).In the address bar type - 192.168.1.1 and press Enter...
Leave Username blank & in Password use admin in lower case...

Click on wireless tab and when check the box for Wi-Fi Protected Setup you find the PIN number.

maeverossington

I am also having PIN issues. I am trying to connect to the router wirelessly with my laptop that is running Vista. Even though I have set up the router with no security, I get prompted for a PIN number when I try to connect.

To find the PIN , I followed the directions:

Possibly, your router has enabled WiFi Protected Setup which a wireless security feature of this router. To verify the PIN for wireless connection, logon to the router's setup page thru http://192.168.1.1 using Internet Explorer or Firefox. Go to the Wireless tab or page and on Basic Wireless Settings, there you can find the PIN. That is on number 3 for WiFi Protected Setup information.

However, when I try to connect and enter the PIN when prompted, I recieve the message:
'could not get settings from Linksys...

the device does not work with the selected settings. Select compatible wireless settings, and then try again.'

Is this a PIN problem? I'm so confused. I can connect with my iPhone, but not with my laptop!

Thank you in advance for help!

Frank10

My router is your WRT54G and my nework set-up asks for the 8-digit PIN.

What do I use?

--Frank Strubel

dudztgp

[ Edited ]

Enable Manual rather than Wi-Fi Protected Setup. Go to the setup page and proceed.

Then setup everything manually. Follow this procedure. WPA Personal will do.

YESuRamazing

Thank you so much for this. That solved my problem on the spot :smileyvery-happy: 

alexcabano

PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP ME I'M DESPERATE.

I have the same problem that you all have, I cant access my laptop with my wi-fi, its asking me for a PIN which is not on my router and I've already done the steps of going to the 1. something page and looked for the PIN there, i found some PIN numbers (I dont know what they are, im not too much into computers and stuff) and tried them but didnt work, also, when i go to the 1.9 whatever page, it's not as shown on those websites, it appears differently, anyway I tried by disabling the WiFi Protected Setup (WPS) option and now my laptop did not ask me for the PIN anymore, instead it asked me for the internet code and i put it but it still won't let me get in, and i know the password is correct since ive used it on my phone and other computer i have at home  but i really need it on my laptop, i dont know what to do, ive called the customer service people from my internet service and they dont know anything im getting kind of desperate i hope somebody can help me please!!!

ScarletJamie

alexcabano wrote:

PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP ME I'M DESPERATE.

I have the same problem that you all have, I cant access my laptop with my wi-fi, its asking me for a PIN which is not on my router and I've already done the steps of going to the 1. something page and looked for the PIN there, i found some PIN numbers (I dont know what they are, im not too much into computers and stuff) and tried them but didnt work, also, when i go to the 1.9 whatever page, it's not as shown on those websites, it appears differently, anyway I tried by disabling the WiFi Protected Setup (WPS) option and now my laptop did not ask me for the PIN anymore, instead it asked me for the internet code and i put it but it still won't let me get in, and i know the password is correct since ive used it on my phone and other computer i have at home  but i really need it on my laptop, i dont know what to do, ive called the customer service people from my internet service and they dont know anything im getting kind of desperate i hope somebody can help me please!!!

What's the error message when you tried to connect?