Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
jbjking

router won't connect

Hello,

So I have a problem that probably is easily fixed.  One morning last week, I checked my email before work, let my girlfriend check hers, then I closed my computer and left.  I came hope that night and I could not connect to the internet.  I tried and tried and tried.  I then resolved myself to call ATT in the morning and get their help.  After going through their scripted process (yes I know what power cycling is, yes I already tried that....etc), I got my computer to connect to the internet by hardwiring it to my DSL.  I realized that my linksys WRT310N router is to blame.  I've tried resetting it, and re-running the setup program, but nothing has worked thus far.  I can get a signal through the router but I cannot get my router to connect wirelessly.  Thoughts?

My configuration

ATT DSL

Mac OS X 10.4

WRT310N router

Thanks all for any thoughts or suggestions.  I'm fairly tech savvy, but I am terrible with mac wireless problems.  

VALETLINKSYS

Re: router won't connect

jbjking wrote:

Hello,

So I have a problem that probably is easily fixed.  One morning last week, I checked my email before work, let my girlfriend check hers, then I closed my computer and left.  I came hope that night and I could not connect to the internet.  I tried and tried and tried.  I then resolved myself to call ATT in the morning and get their help.  After going through their scripted process (yes I know what power cycling is, yes I already tried that....etc), I got my computer to connect to the internet by hardwiring it to my DSL.  I realized that my linksys WRT310N router is to blame.  I've tried resetting it, and re-running the setup program, but nothing has worked thus far.  I can get a signal through the router but I cannot get my router to connect wirelessly.  Thoughts?

My configuration

ATT DSL

Mac OS X 10.4

WRT310N router

Thanks all for any thoughts or suggestions.  I'm fairly tech savvy, but I am terrible with mac wireless problems.  

It doesnt really matter if you are using a mac on not on configuring the router. Since you reset the router here the things that you can do .

• Connect the Computer to the ethernet port of the router
  • Do not connect the modem yet
  • Access 192.168.1.1 using internet browser like safari for mac
  • use admin for the password
  • Do you have a username and password from AT&T ?
  • Coz if you have choose PPPoE for internet connection type
  • then enter the username and password from AT&T
  • if you dont any Username and password , change the IP address of the router into 192.168.5.1
  • powercycle the router for 30 secs
  • connect the modem to the router

I believe that I can make it :smileyhappy:
hillary681

your router might have reset and thus, needs to be reconfigured. for starters, you have to know how your modem connection is setup. what is the brand name of your att modem? are you getting an internet light on it? verify the IP address & the Default Gateway from the modem.

there are two possible internet connection types for DSL: PPPoE & Auto DHCP. checking how the modem works will tell us which way to go.

jbjking

Yeah. It's a ppoe connection.
Speed stream 5100. Modem.
I tried resetting, re-setting up and I still can't get Internet wirelessly! It's very strange as I can get Internet when I'm wired to the lynksys router.
Thinking it might be a physical problem?
jaymay

If you're on a PPPoE connection, you will have to set the router to PPPoE as well. The username and password that's setup on the modem needs to be entered on the router so that both devices will communicate. To access the router page: open a browser, typed in 192.168.1.1 on the address bar, a login page will come up - leave the username blank and type admin for the password. Once inside the router page, select PPPoE for the Internet Connection Type under Setup tab, then save the settings. After that go to the Status tab and check if the Login status is already "Connected".

jbjking

I'll try that! Not near my computer right now but I'll update whether that worked.
Thanks!
scrooge

Before setting up your Linksys router, make sure that your computer has active Internet connection.  You can do this by connecting your computer to the modem using an Ethernet cable and try browsing any website.  If you cannot access the Internet, contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP). Here is the link for setting up the router according to the DSL connection: http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=20ee1457387f40178cd5f41d4b585db4_3687.xml&pid=80&r...

jbjking

Thanks all.  I finally had time to fix it, and it did work.  

I connected via the provided IP, made sure password was correct, then power cycled and it worked.