Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
musicbillo
Accepted Solution

setting up Wireless Security/access for a WRT54GL?

h'lo all, hoping to get some advise on setting up my new WRT54GL.
this is my first encounter with a wireless router, though I've had 3 previous Linksys (hardwired) routers.
I have to say, given that they give virtually no Mac support, it was a breeze….just plugged it in to my cable modem and my laptop and - boom - on the net on my first try!

I'm able to access the router via it's web-based system and can now "tweak" with settings, but I'm running in to a lot of "tweakable" settings that I'm not familiar with and that makes me nervous!  hence my post here for help… I don't *think* what I hope to accomplish is all that difficult, but perhaps you can tell me.

First my setup. I have; (a.) 3 desktop Macs and a Samsung TV hardwired to the four Ethernet ports and (b.) my Mac laptop accessing the router via Airport Extreme wifi. All are happily accessing the web.

But I realize that the reason that "(b.)" is accessing the web is that I've changed no default settings in the router and, not only can *I* access the router via wifi, but probably anyone driving down the road or sitting out in front of my house can access the web via my wifi. And I'd like to change that.

I'm *guessing* that the router settings i need to change lie in the "Wireless Security" area of the router? And it's here that I'm running in to a lot of "tweakable" settings that I don't understand.

But let me give an example of what I would *like* to accomplish. And, for my own understanding, I'm going to keep it extremely simple.
Let's say that there are 3 different laptops…."A", "B" and "C". All 3 are Macs and running Airport Extreme.
Now, "A" is my laptop, sitting here on my desk next to the router. As i leave Airport always turned on, I want "A" to *always* have access to the routers wifi *without* having to enter a username/password, i.e. when i turn "A" on, it's wired.
Now "B" might be the laptop of a friend who happens by the house and need access. They would need to find my network on their laptop and then i would need to give them a password to let them get on .
And finally, "C" is the guy I don't know out in the street whom I want to *never* have access to my network.

So my question then is, can I accomplish this by changing settings in "Wireless Security" on my router and how/what would I change?

greencross

Re: setting up Wireless Security/access for a WRT54GL?

Hello. Yes, it's under that tab. Basically, you just need to set up your own WPA/WPA2 personal key.

Go to Wireless > Wireless Security and select WPA2 Personal from the drop down.

Now type your desired password under WPA Shared Key. Give it a strong password with numbers, something you'll easily remember but hard for others to figure out. Now for the devices:

A.) Once you enter the password on your Mac, it will remember the password so you won't need to re-enter it. Once you boot and AirPort runs, you'll be connected immediately.

B.) Same goes for your friend. Once you've given him your password, he would be able to connect to your network once he's in your wireless range until you change your password. One workaround for this is to get a Linksys E-series router with Cisco Connect. These routers let you create a separate wireless network for guests with a different password.

C.) Now for that person you don't want to access your network, simply don't give him your password. As long as you set a good WPA security key, no one else would be able to access your network.

musicbillo

greencross, can't thank you enough! your description was spot on and it was a snap to setup! thanks again and I'm sure I'll be back!

JAMES 777

Re: setting up Wireless Security/access for a WRT 100

Beach19970

Re: setting up Wireless Security/access for a WRT54GL?for my routew

I set up the security key password for this router and my name displays when network connections are displayed on wireless devices. Problem is the old Linksys G connection is still there. How do I shut this no secured connection down.

I don't want to use the MAC addresses option.

Thanks

chiefengineer1

how do i make my router secure

hiptechboy

The most practical way to secure your wireless network (which I assume is what you are talking about) is to set the wireless security to WPA2 and use a unique and random password that you make up.

You can also use a website to make one up. 

I don't work for Cisco. I'm just here to help.
chiefengineer1

Thanks for the help this was just what I needed
daula4369

Re: setting up Wireless Security/access for a WRTUS4G-TM

mannioa

Thank you, every now and again my router crashes and I keep forgetting how to set the security password. Thanks again.