Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
kazuma

setup a router behind a comp

i want to set up my router behind a comp. that has to have no firewall for various programs, and i have tried to use dmz mode and it does no good. how would i go bout doing this?? need to have it go from modem-->comp--->router--->other comps... any help you be appreciated, and i want the other comps to have internet access behind the router as well....

thanks
Kazuma
Ikester

Re: setup a router behind a comp

Is there a reason the router has to be behind a pc?  By going from moden>router>pc's would protect your pc's a lot better.  If you are gaming/web hosting/FTP you can configure that within the router itself and direct traffic to the pc via the LAN IP address.  The DMZ only opens that pc (with all ports open) to the internet with little to no protection.  If you are running a server you could just configure the settings you need or simply set it up as a DMZ.
Richard Aichner (Ikester)
Frunple

Re: setup a router behind a comp

kazuma wrote:
i want to set up my router behind a comp. that has to have no firewall for various programs, and i have tried to use dmz mode and it does no good. how would i go bout doing this?? need to have it go from modem-->comp--->router--->other comps... any help you be appreciated, and i want the other comps to have internet access behind the router as well....

thanks
Kazuma

You will need 2 network adapters in the pc.
One goes to the modem, the other to the wan port of the router.
The one that goes to the modem will need to have ICS enabled on it.
The router should be set to dhcp on the wan port.
That'll do it.