abb
abb

some advice please

Hi, all,happy new year
I have a ageing HR200 wireless G router which im about to change for a WRT54GS with speedbooster, as signal strength is not great on the hr200,
But im getting a bit worried about setting the new one up,
firstly i cannot find an uninstal for the HR200? so do i just swap them over etc?or do i need to run the cd that came with the WRT54GS.
secondly can i leave the network name, wireless channel & the pass the same as b4 & just change the the key on the other wireless computers,?or should i start from scratch.
thirdly,i also have a linksys WUSB54GS-UK with speed booster, now the WRT54GS also has secure easy setup,now could anyone tell me if it is advisable to use this on both devices,& then set up the other wireless computers (will it tell me the key & the pass phrase so i can copy them into the other computer?)
sorry about all the question but im just a bit nervous about re-setting it all up,thank you. Abb
also i seached my model number which was WRT54GS v5.1 but on the web page it only says v1.0, v1.1, v2.0, v2.1, v3.0, v4.0, v6.0 , could this be a problem
Klatch

Re: some advice please

Well... if you dont find the uninstall of old router, don't worry about that and just install new router using disk.
While installing WRT54GS you can use the same wireless settings as of your old router, so that your wireless computers will automatically connect to new router.
Dont use secure easy setup, as each time you do that different network key will be assigned, that might create issues.
If you don't see v5.1 just assume the closest match listed, is your router.
abb
abb

thank you for your advice i feel a bit more confident on setting up, thank you again...abb
abb
abb

Thank you klatch im now all set up with my new router,thank you again for your advice & help,    Abb
kirkgoff

How do I get my wireless router to connect to my new computer

Administrator
24JUAN80

Welcome to the Cisco Home Community.

You can wire it to your router or connect to the router wirelessly.

Logon to 192.168.1.1.

Type your admin credentials (defaults would be to leave username blank and type admin as password)

Determine and setup the security of your router.

Use the key to have your adapter establish connection with the router.

You can read more about it here.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Search Function is your friend.... and Google too.

How to Secure your Network
How to Upgrade Routers Firmware
Setting-Up a Router with DSL Internet Service
Setting-Up a Router with Cable Internet Service
How to Hard Reset or 30/30/30 your Router
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------