Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
marveloss

trying to block people frm using router

how do i stop someone else from using my router once they have already used it.cus i believe my info is stored in computer

Re: trying to block people frm using router

The easy way is to enable your security.  Some flavor or WPA or even WEP will stop most of the theft.

Wireless access can be filtered by using the MAC addresses of the wireless devices transmitting within your network’s radius. You can either permit or prevent specific wireless computers to access your wireless network.

NOTE: Before setting up MAC filtering, make sure you’ve identified all MAC addresses you wish to filter. Make sure the wireless devices you want to allow are wirelessly connected to the router and able to access the network. To check the computer’s wireless MAC address, follow the instructions below.

Checking Computer’s Wireless MAC Address

NOTE: To get the PC’s MAC Address using Windows 98 or ME, click here.

Windows XP/2000

Step 1:
Click Start, then Run.

Step 2:
When the Run window appears, type “cmd” in the Open field, then click OK.

Step 3:
When the MS DOS Prompt appears, type “ipconfig/all” then press [Enter].

Step 4:
Take note that the Physical Address is your computer’s MAC Address.

NOTE: Perform this procedure on all the computers you wish to identify the MAC address on.

Step 5:
After identifying the MAC address you can now begin setting-up wireless MAC filter on the Linksys access point. For instructions, click here.

Windows 98/ME

Step 1:
Click Start, then Run. A window similar to Step 2 will appear.

Step 2:
Once the Run window appears, type “winipcfg” in the Open field, then click OK.

Step 3:
When the IP Configuration window appears, select the Network Adapter that the PC is using from the drop-down menu.

Step 4:
Take note that the Adapter Address is your computer’s MAC Address.

NOTE: Perform this procedure on all the computers you wish to identify the MAC address on.

Step 5:
After identifying the MAC address you can now begin setting-up wireless MAC filter on the Linksys router. Please follow the steps below.

Permitting Wireless PC from Accessing Your Network

Step 1:
Access the router’s web-based setup page. For instructions, click here.

Step 2:
When the router’s web-based setup page appears, click Wireless then Wireless Access or Wireless Network Access.

NOTE: The image may look different depending on the model number of the Linksys router.

Step 3:
Select Restrict Access and Permit only from the options, then click either Update Filter List or Edit MAC Addresses Access List.

NOTE: Permit will allow wireless connectivity to the wireless computers whose MAC addresses appear on the MAC Filter List.

Prevent will deny wireless connectivity to the wireless computers whose MAC addresses are listed on the MAC Filter list.

Step 4:
After clicking either Update Filter List or Edit MAC Addresses Access List, the MAC Address Filter List window will appear. Enter the MAC address of the wireless computer that you want to allow access to your wireless network.

Step 5:
Click the Wireless Client MAC list then Update Filter List to view the MAC addresses of all wireless computers connected to your wireless network.

Step 6:
Check the MAC addresses listed if it matches that of the wireless computer you want to allow access to your network and check Enable MAC Filter.

Step 7:

Click .

Step 8:

Click   on the Wireless MAC Filter List.

Step 9:

Click   on the Wireless MAC Filter page.

Many thanks,
Akira893
wE dOnt gEt mAd! wE gEt evEn!
:robotmad: ^_^
granderiviere

Hi I have a MAC computer and I keep picking up a linksys address on my own sometimes my computer automatically connects to it instead of my own local wifi how can I block this? Can you help?

Administrator
24JUAN80

This might help.

http://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_to_have_mac_autoconnect_wifi_network.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Search Function is your friend.... and Google too.

How to Secure your Network
How to Upgrade Routers Firmware
Setting-Up a Router with DSL Internet Service
Setting-Up a Router with Cable Internet Service
How to Hard Reset or 30/30/30 your Router
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
candiceandrews

how to block people from using my router

cononix

i need help how to lock my internet from the router

Expert
iamgiantherockstar

For wireless security, please follow this link.

YaduGautam

Hi

YaduGautam