lyns2500

unable to configure Linksys E2500 to use PPPoE connection

I am using the Ubuntu Linux 12.04 operating system and have been able to use the Linksys E2500 router with Automatic Configuration – DHCP setting and my modem in PPPoE mode to use my DSL connection. But I would like to be able to use my router with the PPPoE connection setting so I can use a firmware like Tomato which has more advanced features like bandwidth logging.

I was able to log into the configuration page of my SpeedTouch ST516 modem and set it to bridge mode according to the instructions here: http://www.speedtouch.ca/bridgemode.php

I then tried to set up the router to use PPPoE according to the instructions here: http://kb.linksys.com/Linksys/ukp.aspx?pid=80&vw=1&articleid=3687
I get the message "Can not get an IP address from PPPoE" again when I try to set up the connection in step 4. Resetting the router does not help. I also tried running 'sudo service networking restart' and the 'sudo dhclient -r; sudo dhclient' in Ubuntu's terminal but still got the same message.

I double checked that I used right login information and vpi from my ISP. I used the same info to configure the modem to PPPoE mode again so I can connect to the internet. I had to reset the modem back to factory defaults using the reset button at the back to access the modem configuration page after I disconnected the ethernet cable from the router and plugged it into the modem.

Is there a possible bug with using PPPoE with this router? Is there anything else I can try besides what is stated in the instructions linked to above?

kawal

Re: unable to configure Linksys E2500 to use PPPoE connection

Linksys routers have been tested for years to be "capable" on the common DLS-PPPOE interface. If you've set your modem properly to bridge mode, then there shouldnt be a problem. To test if you did it correctly on your modem, you can try connecting your PC directly to it then use a PPPOE software to verify if your able to get online with a direct conneciton.

jaymay

If you are getting an error "Can't get an IP from PPPoE Server", that would mean that it's possible that the account information you've typed in is incorrect or the modem is not set properly to bridged mode. You can test this by connecting your computer directly to the modem and create a PPPoE dialer. If it will let you connect successfully then you are using the correct username and password. If not then you might have to verify the correct info from your ISP. It could be possible that what you just need to do in the router is to change it's LAN IP address to a different range compared to what you are getting from the modem to avoid IP conflict. For more information about setting up the router with DSL connection, you may refer to this link: Setting up a Linksys router for DSL Internet connection.

lyns2500

[ Edited ]

kawal wrote:

Linksys routers have been tested for years to be "capable" on the common DLS-PPPOE interface. If you've set your modem properly to bridge mode, then there shouldnt be a problem. To test if you did it correctly on your modem, you can try connecting your PC directly to it then use a PPPOE software to verify if your able to get online with a direct conneciton.

Yes, the modem was "set properly to bridge mode".  I was able to establish a direct connection with a PPPoE software with my modem in bridge mode. And same thing with my TP-Link 8616 modem.

lyns2500

jaymay

"If you are getting an error "Can't get an IP from PPPoE Server", that would mean that it's possible that the account information you've typed in is incorrect or the modem is not set properly to bridged mode. You can test this by connecting your computer directly to the modem and create a PPPoE dialer. If it will let you connect successfully then you are using the correct username and password. If not then you might have to verify the correct info from your ISP."

> Again, "I double checked that I used right login information and vpi from my ISP. I used the same info to configure the modem to PPPoE mode again so I can connect to the internet." And yes I was also able to connect with a PPPoE dialer and computer directly connected to the modem.

"It could be possible that what you just need to do in the router is to change it's LAN IP address to a different range compared to what you are getting from the modem to avoid IP conflict. For more information about setting up the router with DSL connection, you may refer to this link: Setting up a Linksys router for DSL Internet connection."

> That link is exactly the same link in my sentence: "I then tried to set up the router to use PPPoE according to the instructions here: http://kb.linksys.com/Linksys/ukp.aspx?pid=80&vw=1&articleid=3687"

The router ip address used is set to http://192.68.2.1 which differs from the ip addresses of the modems I tried.

jaymay

I suggest that you reset the router back to factory default settings (either doing it manually or thru the setup page). Once logged in to the router’s setup page, go directly to the Status tab and check the Internet IP Address. If you will get either 192.168.1.x or 127.0.0.1 that means there is an IP address between the modem and the router. Set the Internet Connection Type to Automatic Configuration – DHCP and change the LAN IP to 192.168.2.1. After that, power off the router and the modem. Once the lights are synced up, check then what Internet IP address you are getting from the Status tab of the router’s setup page and check if you can get online.

lyns2500

jaymay wrote:

I suggest that you reset the router back to factory default settings (either doing it manually or thru the setup page). Once logged in to the router’s setup page, go directly to the Status tab and check the Internet IP Address. If you will get either 192.168.1.x or 127.0.0.1 that means there is an IP address between the modem and the router. Set the Internet Connection Type to Automatic Configuration – DHCP and change the LAN IP to 192.168.2.1. After that, power off the router and the modem. Once the lights are synced up, check then what Internet IP address you are getting from the Status tab of the router’s setup page and check if you can get online.

I never said there was a problem with using the router in the DHCP setting. Again "I am using the Ubuntu Linux 12.04 operating system and have been able to use the Linksys E2500 router with Automatic Configuration – DHCP setting and my modem in PPPoE mode to use my DSL connection. But I would like to be able to use my router with the PPPoE connection setting so I can use a firmware like Tomato which has more advanced features like bandwidth logging."

Jake_2.0

Just to verify on this; was your computer able to get online when connected to the modem using a PPPoE dialer/software? If it does, then there's a possibility that there is something with that particular router. If not, then verify that concern with your ISP.

lyns2500

[ Edited ]

Jake_2.0 wrote:

Just to verify on this; was your computer able to get online when connected to the modem using a PPPoE dialer/software? If it does, then there's a possibility that there is something with that particular router. If not, then verify that concern with your ISP.

I am now saying this for THIRD time: yes, I was able to get online with my modem in bridge mode and a PPPoE dialer.

And jaymay, yes, I did reset the router to factory defaults before trying again to get it working in PPPoE mode.

beautifulbeatrice

[ Edited ]

The router’s configuration would depend on the type of configuration the modem has. If the router works with Automatic Configuration DHCP, then it means the modem is configured to work with a router with that type of configuration. There is no way you can make the router work with PPPoE settings if the modem is not setup to work with a PPPoE configured router. I believe what you need to do is to contact your ISP and set the modem to full bridge mode. That is the only way you can make PPPoE working on the router.