davidsf

what is SES?

Hi,
I have a WRT54G and in the admin page, under Wireless/Basic Wireless Setting there's a message that says "Status: SES Inactive" with a button named "Reset Security" just below it. I've noticed that if I turn MAC filtering off the staus message changes to SES Active.

Can someone tell me what SES is? Also if I click on the "Reset Security" button does it erase my security settings and restore to factory defaults?

thanks,
David

ridcully

Re: what is SES?

well "SES" stands for "secured easy setup" and if you click on "reset security" button it will reset the wireless security, and it would restore default settings...
davidsf

Hi,

I don't have the button for "secured easy setup". Apparently this is a new button for one-step setup of WPA on the newer hardware for WRT54. I think this message came with the latest firmware I intalled. So what does it mean for me to have this message but not the button to go with it? Also, why is SES active if I turn off MAC filtering but inactive when it's on?

thanks,
David

ridcully

okay... important feature of SES is wireless security...if you are using linksys wireless adapter and if you are not aware of the wireless settings of the router, at that point on the adapter software you may find SES button... once you press that button, wireless security on the router would change to "WPA" and adapter will automatically pick up the "WPA" security from the router...
basiclawofwar

Okay guys, this is what happened to me last night.

My router was working fine... Wireless G Broadband Router. I had it working for a couple of months without problem. No wireless security was present on the router. I connected to the configuration page thru going to: http://192.168.1.1/  then I navigated to wireless settings page when I noticed a button called SES Security. And underneath it was another button called "reset security". What I did was I pressed the the "reset" button. All of a sudden I was kicked off and now with all the effort to connect to it, I can't. In the wireless adapter scan I do see my network with SES enabled. What did I reset and what are the default settings that I can use to at least connect to my network again. I have tried to power it down and turn it on but same thing.

What default settings can I use to connect to my router and change the settings?

Thanks.

So far, I have not been able to connect to my router thru any means and don't know what the default passphrase is?
save6stoom@yahoo.com

When i activate the wireless tab of the WRT54G, the status icon shows: SES inactive.  How do i change the staus icon from inactive to active? The "Reset Security"  button prepares wireless security parameters, but does not seem to do anything ..