shiftyjoe

what is key renewal?

In my previous post I talked about losing connection after about an hour. I noticed an option for key renewal under security options foe WAP security. I lowered the number to 600 which is 10 mins, after which I lost connection. What is key renewal and how do I get rid of it?
toomanydonuts

Re: what is key renewal?

[ Edited ]
What router are you using?
Are you using WPA with TKIP?   or WPA with AES?

The key renewal time is the period of time that the router uses the same key before a new one is generated.   WPA and WPA2 change their key frequently.  The "pre-shared key" is only the key that they start with.   Additional keys are generated automatically by the router.

Key renewal problems can sometimes be a sign of poor wireless connections.  So before you set your key renewal time to a very high value (like 12 hours), you should first try to correct any wireless connection problems that exist.
There are many causes for poor wireless connections, and many solutions:

First of all, give your network a unique SSID. Do not use "linksys". If you are using "linksys" you may be trying to connect to your neighbor's router. Also set "SSID Broadcast" to "enabled". This will help your computer find and lock on to your router's signal.

If you have a wireless n router, In the router, make sure the "Radio Band" is set to "Wide".

Poor wireless connections are often caused by radio interference from other 2.4 GHz devices. This includes wireless phones, wireless baby monitors, microwave ovens, wireless mice and keyboards, wireless speakers, and your neighbor's wireless network. In rare cases, Bluetooth devices can interfere. Even some 5+ GHz phones also use the 2.4 Ghz band. Unplug these devices, and see if that corrects your problem.

In your router, try a different channel. There are 11 channels in the 2.4 GHz band. Usually channel 1, 6, or 11 works best. Check out your neighbors, and see what channel they are using. Because the channels overlap one another, try to stay at least +5 or -5 channels from your strongest neighbors. For example, if you have a strong neighbor on channel 9, try any channel 1 through 4.  For wireless n, make sure the wide band and standard band are at least 2 channels apart.  For example, try standard channel 11 and wide band 9.

Also, try to locate the router about 4 to 6 feet above the floor, in an open area. Do not locate it behind your monitor or near other computer equipment or speakers. The antenna should be vertical.

Also, in the computer, go to your wireless software, and go to "Preferred Networks" (sometimes called "Profiles" ). There are probably a few networks listed. Delete any network named "linksys". Also delete any network that you do not recognize, or that you no longer use. If your current network is not listed, enter its info (SSID, encryption (if any), and key (if any) ). Then select your current network and make it your default network, and set it to automatic login. You may need to go to "settings" to do this, or you may need to right click on your network and select "Properties" or "settings".

If the above does not fix your problem, download and install the latest driver for your wireless card.

Some users have reported improved wireless performance by switching to WPA encryption.

If you continue to have problems, try the following:

For wireless g routers, try setting the "Transmission Rate" to 54 Mbps. For wireless n routers, try setting the "n Transmission Rate" to 162 Mbps, and the (wireless g) "Transmission Rate" to 54 Mbps.

If you still have trouble, download and install the latest firmware for your router. After a firmware upgrade, you must reset the router to factory defaults, then setup the router again from scratch. If you saved a router configuration file, DO NOT use it.

If all else fails, increase you key renewal time to 12 hours (43200 seconds).

Hope this helps.

Message Edited by toomanydonuts on 04-10-2008 03:07 AM
shiftyjoe

Thanks for this reply, I will have to play around with it when I get home. I also chatted with tech support online and finally got it out of them that on the WRT160N router their might be a bug with the firmware that is causing my issue, but since it is a newer product and I am the first to bring this to their attention there isn't a solution for it. It is being escalated to their research team to possibly be put into the fix for the updated firmware release whenever that is. Also after talking with tech support where I work, we have determined that the refresh rate is behind the issue that I should shut if off if possible (which with the current firmware isn't an option), or try running the WPA without a key phrase to see if that solves the issue. Basically they told me that for some reason when the router changes the key phrase at the set interval the computers are not accepting and/or communicating the new key phrase which then shuts down the router to prevent unauthorized access on my network. I will play around with this tonight and repost my findings for everyone to see.
NSX
NSX

I have a WRT160N as well.  I have noticed every 3600 seconds (default) the key renewal shuts my wireless off and wont reconnect right away until later time from 10-40mins.  Tried todo repair and wont do any good.   Fastest thing is to reset the router and will work.  Right now this router max key renewal is at 7200 which I am using now.  I really like to push it to 6-12 hours. Hoping a new firmware will come soon.

The router I have has this firmware: v1.02.4-CADec 19, 2007
The download site has v1.02.2 which is a US firmware and not for Canadian Router.

Have you found alternative to improve disconnection to a minimal?

Please advice.
dtastet

I tried to use the WPA personal key option and I had to set a key renewal. I reccomend trying WEP. This worked for me. 

tomcat14ea

Thanks for kb! I have a problem with WAG120N and it will be disconnect after 20 minutes [about], try to downgrade and upgrade firmware, try to update WiFi card driver [Intel Centrino last update 2012/12], security type is WPA2 personal and wide channel is 9 & standard is 11-2.462, radio band:auto, network mode: mixed, encryption: TKIP or AES. I had chat with live support three times!!! but anytime was failed!!!
My device [only WiFi device that is in use with this router ] is VAIO VPCEA26FG,and router is vertically near laptop [distance: 70 cm] on the floor!
Where is the problem,I am trying to solve this "Axiom Of Choice"!!! and can't fined any solution! if you give me a solution I will idolize u!!!
techmein02

Do not set the router on the floor. The best location is to put it at an elevated area.  It is important that your router is placed in an open and strategic area since wireless routers use radio waves to communicate.  In addition, it is not recommended to place your wireless device or computer right next to the router because the 18 inch radius around the router is a wireless dead zone.

tomcat14ea

[ Edited ]

I set the router on the desk! 1 meter above floor.and WiFi antenna gauge is always full [on the floor and on the desk!!!], and distance is 3 meters [from laptop] now. What is the problem now?!!! again,when disable WiFi[WLAN] authentication everything is good and there is no dc problem, but when give it a WPA2 personal or WEP key it will be a Cancer!!!
Thanks for help.

Jake_2.0

I guess you also need to consider your computer’s wireless adapter. Check if the adapter could connect to a higher level or security like wpa/wpa2, older adapters will not even been able to connect even with wpa-personal/AES as the security. Try to set your wireless security mode to wpa-personal/AES and check if the adapter will connect. Consider updating the drivers of your computer’s wireless adapter and upgrading the router’s firmware as well.

tomcat14ea

[ Edited ]

Thanks Jake_2.0!

It was first live support chat help!!! I did that at first. I attch screenshot from my router setting and if anybody find the problem I will give him a gift!!! I need a Network Pro Engiineer!!! to upgrade my Network Knowledge Base!!!.

My Device: VAIO VPCEA26FG / Win 7 x64 / ESET Smart Security 4 Business

Router: WAG120N / Firmware Version : 1.00.16

WiFi Card Model : Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6200 AGN / Last Update : 9/30/2012 / Version : 15.3.1.2

It's New! WiFi card because support dual channel! [2.4 and 5 GHz] [WAG120N work only with 2.4, WiFi Card 5GHz Band is disabled]
And now the Attachments ...

Network an Sharing Center

Basic Setup

Basic Wireless Settings

Wireless Security

Advanced Wireless Settings