jasonelmore

what is the default user and password on linksys wrt54gr

what is the default username and password on my linksys wrt54gr.. i've tried admin and admin and that does'nt work.. any ideas???

Re: what is the default user and password on linksys wrt54gr

Leave username blank and enter admin for password
Flurkmaster

[ Edited ]
Hello,
I have the same problem with the linksys WRT54GR. I enter the password admin and leave the username blank (or tried with admin as username, too), and I can't enter. I used the setup wizard which is on the cd, with the same result: wrong password. I allready have a linksys wag200g installed in the network, but this should not interfere with the installation of the new device? The keyboard is not set in the wrong way (no azerty/querty mixup possible; tried both). What is wrong here?
sincerely,
Gert Nelen

(Mod note: Post has been edited for non-compliance of forum guidelines. Posting email address is not allowed. Thanks.)

Message Edited by primus on 10-26-2007 01:49 AM
Expert
Expert

The two routers will interfere if you use the same IP subnet on both. By default Linksys routers use 192.168.1.*. Thus if you plug them together you'll run into problems because running the identical subnet on two sides of a router is not possible.

Did you try the password of the WAG?

Can you access the router when it is wired to a computer and not connected to anything else (i.e. not connected to the other router?)

I would not recommend to run two routers inside a LAN unless you have specific reasons why you want to routers. It is better to set the WRT up as access point only. See here.

For a wireless roaming network both access points should have identical wireless settings except for the channels.
Flurkmaster

Thanks for the help,
I have them both cascaded in the same network now. I'd like however that the wireless network of the one extends the wireless of the other. At the moment I have them broadcast the same SID, but at a different channel with the same WEP password. Is this a good setup? Can I create a roaming network in this way with 2 linksys devices?
Expert
Expert

If you have setup the routers bridging into the same LAN (i.e. the LAN-LAN connection and not using the internet port on the second router as I have suggested in the link above) and with the wireless settings you have mentioned you should have a wireless roaming network. Make sure you have SSID broadcast enable on both routers.
Flurkmaster

ok thanks
StefanoCsl

Hi. I'm from Italy so, I'm sorry if my english is not good. I've the same problem, I can't to access at the site 192.168.1.1 because password "admin" is not correct. I try with the WEP password but it is not correct too. I try with the CD of the product but it is the same chose. I have only a router, what can I do? Thank you
Expert
Expert

1. Try to access the router while the modem is not connected.

2. You should never run a router with default password.

3. If you don't remember the password and "admin" does not work you have to reset the router back to factory defaults pressing the reset button for 30 seconds. Afterwards you have to reconfigure your router. Remember to change the router password and please don't use WEP but WPA or WPA2 with a strong passphrase. WEP can be cracked within minutes.