seanw

where do i find a network key (WEP key, WPA key)

I thought I could access my network with the PASSWORD I set up but evidently I need a network key. Can anyone help me?
picohat

Re: where do i find a network key (WEP key, WPA key)

You need to set that network key on wireless router, then configure it on wireless adapter as well. Not difficult to do it..
kirel123

[ Edited ]
I'm having the same issue and the previous posters advice didn't really help.

Example: (not the real passwords)

I setup my network name to be BLU-RED and the router password to be "motorola"

I picked "motorola" because it's easy for me to remember and it's easy for me to key in on my wi-fi enabled cell phone.

When I setup my router, I did choose that I wanted WPA security and it gave me some 15(ish) alpha-numeric # as the encryption key.

I've tried both the alpha-numeric key and the "motorola" password.  Neither of them work.

When I use the alpha-numeric key, the message I get is " Wi-Fi connection failed w002"    When I use the "motorola" password, the error message is " Invalid Security Key"

Help please.

Message Edited by kirel123 on 05-09-2008 10:06 PM
Backlum Chaam

you can buy a key from walmart and other fine establishments.

ok kidding aside the most important part of setting up a wireless network is to match all settings of the router to the computer and vise versa.

I recomend using a cat5 cable to connect your computer to the router to make changes to wireless.  if you dont and you make a change without matching your pc to the router then your connection will drop.

from a web browser go to 192.168.1.1 enter your password
go to the "wireless" tab and name your ssid something unique.  go to "wireless security" tab and if your computer is newer than 2 yrs old select wpa2 personal on security mode. 

enter a long random wpa shared key and press save changes.

Now for the fun part on your pc you must match what you entered above and unfortunatly different OS's are slightly different when going about this. Make sure you enter it as WPA personal with the exact key that you put into the router.

Kirel, if the router gave you a 15ish security key after you put in your phrase you selected wep not wpa.  wep is not very secure any more but in some cases its ok to use. 

make sure to press save after every change. =)
http://www.airspaceonline.com
kirel123

[ Edited ]
Well, using the "auto setup" provided on the disk, I wasn't able to change the security key.  Using the method you described - I was.

I think however that my phone (which is the only reason for me to have wireless:  tmobile @home service ) is incompatable though - new phone (Samsung Catalyst).

I can choose WEP 64, WEP128, WPA-PSK and WPA2-PSK

I tried all the combinations (twice for each WEP and once for each WPA (or WPA2) personals....

I finally just turned off security.    It's probably not a really great idea, but it works for now and I don't need or use wireless for my actual computer connection - just the phone.

Message Edited by kirel123 on 05-10-2008 07:25 AM
Backlum Chaam

ya phones and other little devises are a different beast all together.  try starting with the least and work your way up.  wep 64, wep 128, wpa2 

anywho, you do want security if you have any concerns about your neighbors having access to your network and internet...  If you live on a 20 acre ranch, maybe its not that big of a deal...
Backlum Chaam

oopsie, I basicaly repeated what you said.  you may want to contact the wifi phone manufacture and see what they say. 
oook

Login to router at http://192.168.1.1 , and wireless tab, wireless security sub tab, you'll get it.
kukkaikawaii

you can set up wireless router using WEP/WPA key and configure in your adapter.
ramjet65