msgraciey

why won't my router work?

I changed out my modem for a new one from Comcast and my wireless router, a wrt54gl, won't work anymore. I tried to resync it in pretty much every way possible, including reloading the CD and starting over but it still won't work. The lights are on but no one is home! I keep getting the message that there is no internet connection. Comcast spent a lot of time with me and decided it was the router which was broken but Linksys denied it, said I'd have to pay $$$, and good luck to me if I wanted to figure it out on here! Help!

hiptechboy

Re: why won't my router work?

Unplug the cable modem and battery (if it's an EMTA) for 30seconds. Go to your router and hold the reset button for 30seconds. Plug in your cable modem and wait for it to load. When the router is done booting up, plug it in to the cable modem.

I don't work for Cisco. I'm just here to help.
peanuts

Reset  the router .

Open the set up page of the router ..by using the IP address of 192.168.1.1...

Then follow this linkhttp://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=0ff4c94586a345d082828ec2161aaecf_3686.xml&pid=80&r...

And see if that helps.

msgraciey

Thanks so much, but I've tried all of that...:I've pushed the reset button, gone in and even tried to use the CD that you set it up with, but no luck. I still get the "unable to connect" message. I've tried to swap around the various lines, tried to turn off/on the modem, etc. as well. The folks at Comcast walked me through all options as well. When I contacted Linksys I was told that because it's a new modem, I needed to resync the 2 gadgets. Right now I'm connecting to the Internet by directly hooking up the modem to the laptop. However, we have no wireless in the house and I also can't go from the modem to my desktop via the ethernet port. I previously connected the router to the ethernet on the desktop via one of the 1-2-3-4 ports (they've all been tried as well), and hooked the modem to the ethernet port on the router. All lights come on ok...just no connection on those either!

msgraciey

just tried the options again. The modem and the desktop via the ethernet do not work together. There is no other connection option on the modem like a usb to hook them up. There was no light on the modem indicating a connection. The modem-router-desktop do not work together, and again there was no light on showing a connection on the modem, and the router did not show a connection light for the ethernet ports. The modem-router-laptop showed no internet connection on the modem but did show a light on the ethernet port but there was still no connection to the internet on here. It is now just working because the modem is directly connected to the laptop. Help again, and thanks! 

vai_fan

Connect an Ethernet cable from the modem to the router where it says internet.

Then connect 1 more Ethernet cable from the router any one of the Ethernet slot to your computer.

After that Hard reset the router for 1 minute once again.

Open the set up page of  the router by typing  the ip address of 192.168.1.1

Then you have an option set up under set up there is basic set up in the sub tab then besides that there is DDNS .

Then you have mac add clone click on mac add clone then hit enable then click save settings

Also reduced the mtu to 1364...

Once you are done with it configure the wireless settings with the new network name and the password .

Then upgrade the latest firmware on the router

Then unplug the power from the modem and the router wait for 1 minute

Then plug them back once again .

See if  that works.

msgraciey

Thanks, but it didn't work. Not only did it not work with the desktop and I couldn't even get it to accept the code, but on the laptop I was able to get to the page, saw all the tabs you mentioned, changed the mtu but still no  luck. Guess I'll buy another router and see what happens...folks who have this router say they've never had a problem.

Sofia12

The issues with Internet connectivity can be fixed using different methods depending on the reason behind the issue. Problems with corrupted NIC or missing of NIC can be fixed easily by either repairing or replacing NIC with a better one. Sometimes, the issues may be caused because of the service offered by your ISP.

msgraciey

Thanks. I had posted on the HP site before and someone suggested getting a PCI card and putting it in. With the new router (another brand), all of the lights come on but won't work with the ethernet port on the desktop. With the old router, it won't even acknowledge the laptop or anywhere. Will keep trying! Thanks! 

hiptechboy

Yea something's up with your desktops NIC. Try reinstalling the drivers. 

I don't work for Cisco. I'm just here to help.