Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
sweetmail1982

wrt54g and hp laptop

I have two PCs connected to the router by wired and they are working fine. My laptop was working fine with the wireless until I install AVG anti virus program on it. Will a anti virus program be the cause of my problem. I cannot connect to the internet anymore. No connection available even when I sit my laptop right next to the router. Thank you
UnknownHero

Re: wrt54g and hp laptop

Hi sweetmail1982. Based on my experience, firewall programs such as AVG, McAffee, etc. can cause this kind of problem. These firewall programs conflicts with the firewall of the router. Try to disable AVG then check if you'll be able to connect to the Internet again.
Katsuki23

If you have confirmed that it is a firewall problem and would still like to use the AVg software. Check how to configure your AVG to allow internet access for your PC.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

sweetmail1982

I stop the AVG anti virus and sure enough my wireless work again. However, it stay on for 45 minutes or so and then it died. It see there are several wireless connections available including my network but it just would not connect to it. I moved the modem to get closer to the door so that it will be away from all the computers and closer to the laptop in another room. I even removed the AVG program. Nothing help. Thank you for all the help before and I need some more help unfortunately. Thank you
lepoete73

Hi,

I don't know if this is the same issue.  I have a Compaq laptop (which is HP, both companies are together now), it is more than 3 years old and only had a 11b wireless card internal.  So I bought a PCMCIA 54g from Linksys and with the latest software if I boot my laptop with the card already connected, it does not automatically connect and have a hard time making it work, but then I pull the card out of the PCMCIA slot and push it back in and then it gets an IP and is happy.

So I got the habit of booting my laptop without the card and inserting once booted.  I guess you could reproduce this behavior with an internal card by disabling and re-enabling it.