superman9810

wrt54g v6 firmware update

I am trying to update my router's firmware because we've been having problems with our internet connections lately. I am going to the downloads on the site where you get the firmware, and I click to download the file, but it says file not found. Is there any suggestions or third party sites where I can get the firmware for my router?

Our setup is one wired pc and one wireless pc. We've been having the problems during online gaming. The wired pc has been experiencing a lot of lag during online play lately. The wireless pc is having the same problem, but after about 5 min of playing or less, the pc will lose connection to the server and/or host. I talked with our internet company's manager, and he told me that they haven't had any problems or reports of bad conenctions. So we went to a local computer store to see if we could get suggestions and he told us that updating our firmware could solve the problem. If not, he said, then it might be time to get a new router because ours could be going bad. We've had our router for a couple years and have not had any problems like this before. If anyone else could offer suggestions on how to fix this it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

superman9810

Re: wrt54g v6 firmware update

ok the firmware link is working now, and I updated the router already, but we are still having the same problem. any suggestions on how to fix this?

great_white

You have already upgraded the firmware on the router.

After upgrading the Firmware on the router, it is recommended that you should reset the router and reconfigure the router.

Press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds. Release the reset button and wait for 10 seconds. Power cycle the router and reconfigure the router.

See if that helps you.

superman9810

i did all this and i still have the same problem... not sure what to do. it's starting to become a real nuisance

randy_rolfe

Can not connect to internet through wrt54g after ISP switch

I had been working fine for years.  But this week I needed to change my cable internet provider. There were no physical changes for this change.(I switched from Charter Business to Charter)  So the provider was able to do do the switch from their end.

Now I can not connect through the internet through the router.  If I bypass the router I have access.  And strangely if I use the diagnostic utilities to ping or trace a connection on the router web page those are working.  I was originally pretty back level in my firmware (2.something) and I upgraded that to a 4.something yesterday.

Expert
iamgiantherockstar

Re: Can not connect to internet through wrt54g after ISP switch

Hi randy_rolfe and welcome to the forums!

Please click on the link below for the instructions on how to set up your router.

Setting-Up a Router with Cable Internet Service

Please reply back with your progress.

randy_rolfe

Still not working.  This is what I could do.

1) ping the gateway (192.168.1.1)

2) Ping my address (96.42.248.51)

3) The router status page showed my IP@ (same as in ipconfig) and I could renew it

4) The router diagnostics count ping charter.com - I could NOT ping this on a command line.

>ping charter.com
    Ping request could not find host charter.com. Please check the name and try again.    

Expert
iamgiantherockstar

What is the WAN/Internet IP address on the status page of the router?