jphilapy

wrt54g wireless router

I want to play online via gamespy without disconnecting my router. When I start the gamespy service I am able to get into the chatrooms. However I am only able to stay in for a few minutes before I get disconected. Not only does the gamespy disconnect but I am completely disconnected from the internet. My previous netgear router let me connect to gamespy no problems.

I contacted gamespy and they said it was not their problem, that I need to contact the manufacturer of my router. So I am going to ask straight up, is this router just not compatible with Gamespy? If not then which one is? And why does linksys provide a list of knownly compatible and uncompatible software? If not then you should.

Ultimately how can I get this working?

I have two pcs running win xp on the network. I am connected using dsl.

Thanks,
Jeff
jphilapy

Re: wrt54g wireless router

I said "And why does linksys provide a list of knownly compatible and uncompatible software?"

I meant "And DOES linksys provide a list of knownly compatible and uncompatible software?"

Also to clarify one other point. My previous router wouldn't let me host some of my games via gamespy, but it would let me play others hosted games. This router not only kicks me out after a few minutes and knocks me offline, but when I am in gamespy I am neither able to join or host. I am running the router on DMZ at the time of hosting or joining. I know that DMZ is not recommended, however if DMZ won't work then why would anything else?

Jeff
Katsuki23

Re: wrt54g wireless router

Try opening the ports of your game manually under the port forwarding subtab of applications and gaming. DMZ with a Linksys router only opens the most commonly used ports.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."