mrmako777

wrt54g wont connect to cisco 2100 modem

my cable company swapped out my modem yesterday from a toshiba to a cisco 2100. prior to this new modem, my router/modem combo worked fine. now my router will not obtain an ip from the modem and ive tried everything to get it to work. my internet works fine when the modem is plugged directly into the computer.  i am on the latest firmware version 8.00.8 for this router.  when i originally updated the firmware it worked fine, but then when i power cycled everything it stopped working again. can anyone point me in the right direction to get this working again? heres some things ive tried to reslove the issue:

update firmware - worked well until i powered off the devices

clone pc mac address

reset to defaults

power cycle

again, any help or suggestions would be a lifesaver! thanks!

hiptechboy

Re: wrt54g wont connect to cisco 2100 modem

So when you powercycled, did you unplug everything first for 30seconds. Next did you plug in the modem first and did you wait for it to boot up before you connected the router. Have you made sure that DHCP has been enabled?

If you did that then try using dhcp release and then dhcp renew @192.168.1.1. If that doesn't work then you can try pressing your reset button. And if all those don't work then your only choice might have to be a factory default. You can do that in the admin page @192.168.1.1 or you can hold the reset button for 30seconds. It will erase all your settings. 

I don't work for Cisco. I'm just here to help.
mrmako777

yeah i have pretty much tried all that. one thing i noticed was different after the firmware upgrade is that the big light on the front of the router that was normally orange is now a blue-ish color. does this indicate something is wrong with the router?

hiptechboy

It should be orange, unless you are connecting a wireless device using secure setup. I'm not sure what blue stands for. Who is your ISP and can you access 192.168.1.1?
mrmako777

i have time warner cable and yes i can access the router ip. you asked about connecting a wireless device...not sure if i understand what youre asking. on the back of the router i am using 3 ports; xbox, blu ray player, and upstairs computer; only 2 devices in my house use internet wirelessly; my computer downstairs and my ps3. the computer that the modem and router are hooked up to is not wireless. anything else, please ask...im determined to get this working since neither twc or linksys will help me

hiptechboy

Redownload the firmware for your version of the router. Make sure it's the correct one. Now disconnect your cable modem. Then go to the router's page to set it back to factory defaults. Now upgrade the firmware and see wait for it to boot up. Go through it to make sure dhcp is enabled and Mac address cloning is off. Now turn it off for 30 seconds while you plugin the modem. After the modem is done, connect the router and see if it works.
mrmako777

ok, so heres the weird thing...i get home from work today power cycle again and now its working. before i left for work this morning i power cycled, nada. had my wife check when i was at work, nada. did nothing different from what ive been doing and now it suddenly works. i did manage to grab the ip, sub mask, def gateway and 2 dns address' from the status page this time which previously only showed me zeroes. im not convinced its totally working, because it did this same thing yesterday. so now that i have this new information, is it possible to manually force these address' using static ip instead of automatic configuration?

hiptechboy

If you want to enter in the settings into your computer then you can, but that wouldn't make a difference. Hopefully it doesn't do that again.