Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Configuring multiple routers in one network

Hi,
Could you help me configure my home network properly? I live in a rather large, old house. Wi-Fi reception wasn't great in all rooms. Tried a range extender (bad idea...). So now I decided to buy a new (more powerful) router. Here's what I'd like to do:

My internet provider provided me with a Huawei HG655D modem (installed near the entrance of the house on the ground floor). I connected it with an Ethernet cable to my study on the third floor. I'd like to connect the Ethernet cable to my Linksys WRT1900AC. From the 1900 I'd like to run another Ethernet cable to the living room on the second floor, where I'd like to use my old Linksys E4200 router to boost the Wi-Fi network in the living room and use the Ethernet ports to connect my TV and blu-ray player.
I believe the Huawei is a router itself. I understood you should only have one router in a network? So now my questions: should I configure both the 1900AC and the E4200 as access points, wireless bridges, something else? And secondly, should each router have a different SSID? Or should they all have the same? Or the same but with different channels? Or is this whole endeavour a bad idea?

Is there a way that I can force my iPad, notebook etc that it will always select the nearest and strongest transmitter as I move through the house?

I've tried too search the internet but find a lot of contradicting advice that got me confused a bit. So thanks a lot for your insights. Smiley Happy
Best regards, Michael
Expert

Re: Configuring multiple routers in one network

[ Edited ]

Hi Michael,

Make sure the Linksys router's have the latest firmware.

Configure the WRT1900AC and the E4200 Internet Settings as Bridge Mode. Then connect them via Ethernet as shown below:

Huawei (LAN) => (WAN) WRT1900AC (LAN) => (WAN) E4200

Any client devices can connect to any of the router's LAN ports or Wireless SSID's.

I recommend have separate SSID's for your 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz signals. This is because 2.4Ghz is longer range but slower and 5Ghz is short range (due to it's low penetration properties) but super fast.

Then configure the same SSID's on all routers but with different wireless channels and the channels spaced 3 channels apart on the 2.4Ghz side. This should provide the best wireless roaming experience.

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support

Thanks!

Clear and concise! Exactly what I was looking for. I’m going to give this a try.

Just so that I don’t goof up. The WAN port is the yellow port labelled ”internet” right?

Expert

Yes Smiley Happy

Linksys

OK, me again.

So far so good, but by configuring the WRT1900AC to bridge mode I of course lose a lot of functionalities. Which made me wonder... could I also disable the DHCP functionality on the Huawei modem and let the WRT1900AC do all the routing stuff?

Expert

[ Edited ]

Do you have admin access to the Huawei? If you do then there is a more complex option.

Advanced WRT1900AC Bridging setup:

1. Connectivity => Internet Settings => IPv4 => Static IP (Huawei IP Subnet)
  2. Connectivity => Advanced Routing => Dynamic Routing\RIP
  3. Security => Firewall => Uncheck all Firewall settings

Set HG655D Static Route:

HG655D-static-route.PNG

• Destination network address 192.168.1.0 (WRT1900AC LAN Subnet)
  • Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
  • Leave Default gateway uncheck I think but set the Default gateway to the WRT1900AC WAN IP Address set as it's Static IP

Linksys

Sorry to bug this forum again with my ignorance… I do have admin rights to the Huawei modem. I discovered a way to switch the modem to bridge mode from the web based settings… unfortunately, if I do that I lose my phone connection as it uses VOiP that apparently needs the router capability of the modem? :-s So I’d really like to keep maximum functionality of the WRT1900AC and reduce the Huawei to just a modem with VOiP. I’m not sure if your suggestion above will run into the same issue with VOiP but I haven’t been able to test it out by lack of knowledge. So I turned the Huawei back to factory settings. Points 2 & 3 above are easy. Turning off the firewall seems dangerous? But I can leave it up on the Huawei? So it should be ok I guess. Point 1: Connectivity => Internet Settings => IPv4 => Static IP (Huawei IP Subnet). I can switch to static IP and then I need to submit IP info. Which IP addresses should I fill in there? If the Huawei IP subnet runs from 192.168.65 to 192.168.249. Can I use just use any number in that range? It also asks for a DNS. No clue what to fill out there. And then how do I find out the WRT1900AC WAN IP Address from your last bullet? Thanks for your continued help (and patience… Smiley Wink) Cheers, Michael

Expert

Hi Michael,

The Huawei Subnet you posted is huge. Do you have a typo in it? (Ex: DHCP Range 192.168.0.65 - 192.168.0.249)

Linksys

oops.. my bad:

of course I meant 192.168.1.65 - 192.168.1.254

Expert

You can't have two Subnet the same.

Huawei (LAN: 192.168.1.1) => (WAN: 192.168.1.2) WRT1900AC (LAN:  192.168.10.1) => (WAN: DHCP) E4200 (LAN: 192.168.0.1)

WRT1900AC WAN Static IP Settings:

IP Address: 192.168.1.2

Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

DNS: 192.168.1.1

WRT1900AC LAN IP Settings:

Router IP Address: 192.168.10.1

E4200 LAN IP Settings:

Router IP Address: 192.168.0.1

Linksys