Re: Configuring multiple routers in one network

Thanks for all your help so far.. I think I’m nearly there. But I get a strange error message. Could you run through attached screen shots and see what I did wrong?

First on the Linksys WRT1900AC: Connectivity --> internet settings:

LinksysWRT1900AC_InternetSettings.JPG

Then, also on the Linksys WRT1900AC: Connectivity --> Local Network

LinksysWRT1900AC_LAN.JPG

Then switching to the Huawei LAN settings:

Huawei_LAN.JPG

And finally the advance routing section, with the error message I getSmiley Very Happyesination IP address & subnet mask don't match

Huawei_StaticRouting.JPG

Any clue what I'm doing wrong? Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks again.

Michael

Expert

[ Edited ]
The Static Route destination address should be 192.168.10.0

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support

Progressing - but you really need to take me by the hand here... I'm moving from one error to another

hawei_staticrouting2.JPG

If I tick the default gateway box I get the following message: "Error: The next hop address error"

If I untick both default gateway & interface, I get a message telling me to select at least one of the 2.

When I tick default gateway & untick interface I get the same error (hop address).

In the interface drop down menu I can select the following transmission interfaces: I think I could only use the VDSL ones. But whichever one I try I get the Error message: "this wan name is disable." (it's obvious I have no idea what I'm doing here, just trying out random combinations hoping for a hit Smiley Wink).

Huawei_interface.JPG

Any further ideas?

Cheers,

Michael

Expert

The Static Route interface should be the LAN.

Linksys

That did it! I'm all up and running! Thanks again very much for your help. Smiley Happy

Expert

Wow you got an advance setup working! Well done Smiley Surprised

Linksys

I read this thread recently (and several similar ones). I have used in my house several combined in a single network for over 10 years with different router (started with a Dlink and a Airport/Time capsule and until recently I had a main modem+router (TP-Link2600) and a DLink and a TimeCapsule. The later two (and their wired clients) where using only the LAN ports and had DHCP disabled and the TP-Link address (10.0.0.138) set as gateway. The router had statically assigned IP - that I recently changed to DHCP reservations based on the wired and wireless MAC addresses. The one-network is both convenient and it allows me to have some servers visible outside my NAT buble (e.g., my Calibre book library). With me recently acquiring a new nice piece of hardware - the Linksys-EA9500 (AC5400) I got into trouble.

First the setup requires the internet connection to go through the designated WAN port (wich I did not use previously) and if I take the bridge path my storage access dissapears (and I intend the Linksys to replace the old Apple Time Capsule).

I will try the suggested static IP address setting but it seems exceedingly cumbersome. I would love to understand why the Linksys folks choose this path? Or is there a simpler way out?

Expert

julo972 wrote:

Or is there a simpler way out?

No unfortunately if you disable the EA9500 DHCP server those features will be disabled.

Linksys

[ Edited ]

@chadster766 True. If you disable DHCP you can't have a distinct subnet on each router - but this is exactly what I wanted - a single local net in which traffic is going through level2 switches. In such a network I can for exemple reserve the address of a laptop in the single DHCP at the "root of the tree" and move with it around and have it reacheable on its known address.

Fixing addresses and routes is quite a bad practice and frowned upon for good reason (long discussion needed - not woth following here). Bridge mode is the closest to what is needed but according to the warning - you loose valuable functionality (with no good reason - most likely a bug). The functionality I was keen on keeping is the Storage/Media/FTP server.

After setting on bridge the "storage tools" dissapear from the management web. I did some further testing and I "discovered" interesting things. If you set your storage configuration before activating the bridge - you get all the storage functionality accessible through the router (provided you know its address - and since the bridge gets its address through the upstreem routers DHCP I reserved its address through its MAC). After activating the bridge you can access the storage (at least the file shares that I had on a large disk) but you can't manage it - but that is probably a bug not a feature.

I discovered also that setting the network through the iPhone application I can still set and manage the wireless 

including guest mode and you can see but not manage you storage. It took a lot of time and energy as the web pages for management load a react very slow - and I had to guess based on my knowledge of the area and not a manual.

I will keep this list updated if can get to see and manage storage without having to to reset the router or do some othe major change. As for traffic and wireless reach the box is outstanding. UI is bad and the mangement software is buggy (very few "smart features work) I have got also through the promise of automatically creating a larger network through cascading - and it just does not work. Bridge is working and I hope they'll fix the management interface.

Expert

julo972 wrote:

@chadster766 True. If you disable DHCP you can't have a distinct subnet on each router - but this is exactly what I wanted - a single local net in which traffic is going through level2 switches. In such a network I can for exemple reserve the address of a laptop in the single DHCP at the "root of the tree" and move with it around and have it reacheable on its known address.

Fixing addresses and routes is quite a bad practice and frowned upon for good reason (long discussion needed - not woth following here). Bridge mode is the closest to what is needed but according to the warning - you loose valuable functionality (with no good reason - most likely a bug). The functionality I was keen on keeping is the Storage/Media/FTP server.

After setting on bridge the "storage tools" dissapear from the management web. I did some further testing and I "discovered" interesting things. If you set your storage configuration before activating the bridge - you get all the storage functionality accessible through the router (provided you know its address - and since the bridge gets its address through the upstreem routers DHCP I reserved its address through its MAC). After activating the bridge you can access the storage (at least the file shares that I had on a large disk) but you can't manage it - but that is probably a bug not a feature.

I discovered also that setting the network through the iPhone application I can still set and manage the wireless 

including guest mode and you can see but not manage you storage. It took a lot of time and energy as the web pages for management load a react very slow - and I had to guess based on my knowledge of the area and not a manual.

I will keep this list updated if can get to see and manage storage without having to to reset the router or do some othe major change. As for traffic and wireless reach the box is outstanding. UI is bad and the mangement software is buggy (very few "smart features work) I have got also through the promise of automatically creating a larger network through cascading - and it just does not work. Bridge is working and I hope they'll fix the management interface.

It sounds like the advanced routing setup described in this thread will do what you want.

Linksys