Re: Configuring multiple routers in one network

@chadster766 - Definitely not. I wanted to have a local book server (my laptop) available locally (and sometimes remotely) from wherever in the home it is at a fixed address, and storage available. The solution described does not allow this as the address of the server will change depending on which router it is connected too (in addition to the fact that is considered bad policy to assign mannualy fixed addresses - hard to extend, easy to make errors; having a ONE DHCP server do it is by far better).

Having read through this, I realize I understand even less than I thought I did.  I have a similar challenge and seek a step-by-step of the settings I need to change.  I know where to find most of these, but don't understand which to change, and have had to hard reset the devices due to changing things and not being bale to go back.

I have a ATT Uverse with an Arris NVG599 as the gateway router with VoIP.  Behind that I have a Linksys WRC1900AC.  I want to connect my old E4200 to the WRC1900AC via ethernet to improve signal at the other end of my house and the backyard.  I tried setting E4200 to bridge mode but that seems to be the incorrect solution.  I want to turn off the wifi on the Arris gateway, as it is right next to the WRC1900AC.  I want to us the Arris NVG599 as basic a modem as recommended, with VoIP, with the Linksys handling everything as necessary.

I can log into router via Smartwifi if I am away from home.  If at home, I have to log in as local (it didn't used to be that way).  I use the myrouterlocal to get to the logon, as typing in IP address does not work for either linksys (I did not change the default 192.168.1.1)..  I don't understand why, or if it has any relation to issues I am having.

As a further wrinkle, though unrelated (I think): ATT replaced my gateway NVG599 recently, after which I have had firewall issues with certain devices (Sharp TV internet access for Netflix and stuff (wifi and ethernet), Sense electrical monitor connected via wifi, garage door opener control via ethernet - these all work when connected to ATT Arris gateway router, but not through Linksys downstream from ATT NVG599).

Can anyone help guide me on this?

Expert

conepile wrote:

As a further wrinkle, though unrelated (I think): ATT replaced my gateway NVG599 recently, after which I have had firewall issues with certain devices (Sharp TV internet access for Netflix and stuff (wifi and ethernet), Sense electrical monitor connected via wifi, garage door opener control via ethernet - these all work when connected to ATT Arris gateway router, but not through Linksys downstream from ATT NVG599).

It sounds like the ISP replaced you modem and didn't configure it for IP Passthrough to your WRT router.

AFAIK the E4200 Bridge Mode has an issue but I can't remember what it is. I think you can configure the E4200 in a LAN to LAN cascade.

Follow the instruction for Cascading "LAN to LAN" in the link below:

Cascading or Connecting a Linksys router to another router

Things to keep in mind when Cascading a router:

1. Change the secondary router's IP Address to something like 192.168.1.254 so its on the same network but doesn't conflict with the primary router
  2. Make sure DHCP is disabled on the secondary router
  3. Make sure nothing is ever plugged in the secondary router's Internet port
  4. Differentiate between wireless SSID's by location (Ex: Downstairs) and channel

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support

You don’t seem to indicate any special needs so you may want to leave theATT as modem and DHCP provider. All the others can be left as bridges - if you can connect them to to wired outputs of the ATT if not chain them. To gain access to them reserve two ip addresses in the ATT DHCP setting based on the mac addresses of or names of the LINKSYS AND SECONDARYThis is the best configuration as your home will be viewed as one network. DHCP HAS TO BE DISABLED ON all but ATT

To clarify, when you say secondary, do you mean the E4200, or the second after the ATT gateway?

I don't know if this is relevant, but the E4200 is the V2.

I should have pointed out that I want the WRT1900AC to be the primary because I want the functionality that is not offered by the gateway.  I'd prefer the gateway to just be a cable modem with VoIP.

Expert

conepile wrote:

To clarify, when you say secondary, do you mean the E4200, or the second after the ATT gateway?

I don't know if this is relevant, but the E4200 is the V2.

The WRT1900AC is primary and the E4200 is secondary.

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support

Correct. If you manage to connect them both (the WRT and E4200 to wired outputs of the AT&T the performace will be slightly better as the stations connected to E4200 have one link less on their path to/from Internet. Another thing worth mmentioning is that if you have computers to "be seen" by the outside world opening a path to them should also be done on your "main and only router" the ATT. If you want to connect storage (disks) to any one of them you will have to use the open source firmware (I know it exists and is good on WRT1900 but don't know about E4200). The Linksys own software is not something to write home about.

Thank you to all for your advice. I was about to make the changes, but went through the router setup screen by screen to review what I could. I turned off the wifi on the ATT gateway. I had a second set of eyes check "obvious" settings: it seems I had DNS set up as 4444 and 8888. Changed to 8844 and 8888. Renewed leases on everything I could, restarted , or went through setup (televisions). Just about everything now works properly. Of two Sharp TVs, the older one won't connect properly via ethernet, but does wifi. I'm fine leaving like that. My secondary router E4200) is in bridge mode, different channel but with same SSID. It all seems to be working okay now.

Nice. Setting the DNS to Google... I wouldn’t give them all that in addition to my searches :-) You may use the DNS given to you by your ISP (automatically) at connection.