Accepted Solution

LAPAC (1200) - No connection between same SSID name 2.4 / 5 GHz clients

Hi, I have purchased one LAPAC1200 and have a question/issue.

I have set two SSID with same name "AP_internal" on Radio 1 (2.4GHz) and on Radio 2 (5GHz), same password, same VLAN.

My laptop connects to Radio2 for best performance.

I have a printer which can only work on wifi n, so on Radio 1.

If I disable band steering then my laptop goes to radio1 (lower performance) and it can reach the printer.

But if I enable band steering for best performance laptop is on radio 2 and printer on radio 1 and cannot see the printer.

I want to use my laptop on radio 2 for best performance while the printer is on radio 1...

How can I solve this and make the printer reachable from radio 2 ?

Thank you

Re: LAPAC (1200) - No connection between same SSID name 2.4 / 5 GHz clients

ok, I can see the printer on 2.4GHz radio (SSID internal, vlan 100) from the laptop on 5GHz (SSID internal, same password, vlan 100) only if I disable "Isolation between SSIDs" and then reboot the AP.

But then I can also see other clients on other SSID/VLAN which I don't want for security reasons.

In conclusion, same vlan on different SSID/same pw cannot see each other unless I disable the isolation between all SSIDs.

(wired clients can see 2.4 and 5GHz clients)

Is there a way to have clients on SSID internal 2.4 and SSID internal 5GHz see each other without disabling isolation ?

Thanks

Expert

[ Edited ]

chris456089 wrote:

ok, I can see the printer on 2.4GHz radio (SSID internal, vlan 100) from the laptop on 5GHz (SSID internal, same password, vlan 100) only if I disable "Isolation between SSIDs" and then reboot the AP.

But then I can also see other clients on other SSID/VLAN which I don't want for security reasons.

Yes you are right and it's working as designed.

Now you should use your router's VLANs' and ACLs' for device isolation\segmentation.

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support

[ Edited ]

Hi Chadster,

thanks for your answer.

In this case do you mean I need to have a separate vlan/subnet and setup intervlan routing ?

Even though won't it be filtered by the AP since I have SSID isolation in place ?

Is there no way it can be done using the same vlan/subnet ?

My wired clients (same vlan) can see clients on 2.4 and 5GHz radios.

I was thinking of having a wired print server that would be "bridge" to the wireless printer.

I'd rather setup up something lighter than a windows server for this.

What do you recommend ?

PS: I'm using a pfSense router

Expert

chris456089 wrote:

In this case do you mean I need to have a separate vlan/subnet and setup intervlan routing ?

Even though won't it be filtered by the AP since I have SSID isolation in place ?

Yes because you mention that wireless devices on separate SSIDs' need access to a wireless printer (I don't recommend wireless printing) which doesn't work with SSID isolation. Wireless isolation only effect wireless clients that are connected to the AP and won't stop wireless client access to LAN resources.

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support

I have no choice to use wireless for this printer, otherwise I would have cabled it definitely.

So I think I have to end up to set up a wired print server reachable by wireless clients and that can see the printer as well.

This is really unfortunate that same SSID/password/VLAN clients on both radios can not see each other (even with SSID isolation, maybe a submode could be added in this case).

Thank you for explanations