LAPAC2600 Will Not Upgrade Firmware

I have two of the LAPAC2600 access points in my home; one upstairs and one downstairs.  Both are connected via Ethernet, and the one upstairs is set as the master.  I recently tried to upgrade firware on both units.  I setup the upgrade installation ont he upstairs access point, since that is the master and it should automatically update the slave device downstairs.  Well after running the update, the downstairs (slave) access point updated itself to firmware version 1.0.04.001.  However, the one upstairs failed to install the update, and is still running version 1.0.01.000.  I have tried numerous times to update the upstairs WAP with version 1.0.04.001, but the device just reboots and still shows to be runnning version 1.0.01.000.  I have tried both the update check where it does an online update, and I also manually downloaded the update onto the hard drive of my computer, then I select the file and tell it to install.  Nothing seems to work.  On top of this mess, my upstairs LAPAC2600 is now also dropping devices randomly, causing phones, my Nest T-stat, and some IP cameras to drop offline from time to time.  I really want to get this update installed; hoping that it resolves my sudden connectivity issues.  Does anyone have any idea why that WAP will not install the firmware update?  Any suggestions as to what I can try to make this work?  Any help is most appreciated.  

Thanks,

~ Marty

Re: LAPAC2600 Will Not Upgrade Firmware

@AeroTechDawg

Let's sort this one out. Have you tried using a different web browser upon updating the firmware? How about a different computer, just for isolation? If you already did and still doing the same thing, you can also hard reset the access points and try the upgrade again.

Carl_S 21985
Linksys Technical Support
Expert

If you were trying to update the firmware will connected via wireless try it connected via Ethernet.

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support

Hi Chadster766,

I have been connected via Ethernet all along.  I have not tried to update wirelessly, but I assume that would end up with the same result.  Thank you for the suggestion.  I appreciate any and all recommendations to get this matter resolved.  

Cheers,

~ Marty

Expert

Try breaking the cluster and then updating the firmwares.

If that doesn't work  This might be a case of reset to factory defaults on both, make sure both are running the same firmware and recreate the cluster setup.

AFAIK all APs' have to be running the same firmware for clustering to work regardless.

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support

Hi Carl_S, and thank you for your suggestions. I have indeed tried different browsers (Chrome and IE), and I have tried the update from two different workstation computers (one Windows 7 and one Windows 10). The access point is connected to my home network via Ethernet, going to a 24 port gigabit switch. I have tried a different switch port, just for grins, but no joy. I have also removed power from the AP and left it unplugged for about 15 minutes, then plugged it back in but still no joy. Doing a factory reset is something I have not tried yet, and I will give that a shot this coming weekend. Given the fact that the AP in question is setup as the "Master" device, will resetting this then screw up the settings on my slave AP (same model)? I just don't want to do something that could make matters worse.

Thanks again for your help. I will be sure to update this thread once I have tried the hard reset this weekend. Wish me luck! :-)

Cheers,

~ Marty

Great suggestion, on breaking the cluster! I never even though of that. If that doesn't work, I will do as you said, and hard reset both of the APs. I am hoping that I can save (or export) the configurations of the APs before resetting them, as I have a lot of custom tweaks I would have to manually input all over again. I just can't remember if this model AP offered a backup option or not. I would assume so, and will check that out before the reset. Thanks again for your help, chadster766. :-)

Cheers,

~ Marty

Same problem here, I have tried via ethernet, wireless, manual uploading of the file 'from local pc' and 'from internet' it goes through the process and reboot showing the same original firmware of  V1.0.0.01.000. 

*Nix, Mac, Windows, different type of browsers and reseting all parameters to Factory Default or by pushing the button for 25 seconds did not help either.

I don't know what to do more ... please help.

@NalMann and @AeroTechDawg

Hi, Everyone! If the issue still persists upon trying the steps provided in this thread, we recommend to shoot us an email at LinksysCares@linksys.com along with your contact details (Full Name, Phone Number, Location - City/State), firmware version, community username and a link to this post for reference so we can have our Product Experts look into this case. We'll be looking forward to it.

Carl_S 21985
Linksys Technical Support

Okay I have tried everything.  Removed cluster and tried installing, but no success.  Tried resetting to factory defaults, then tried to install update.  Still stuck on version V1.0.01.000.  I just don't understand why one of my two LAPAC2600 access points updated to V1.0.04.001 without any problem, but this other one just will not budge.  As requested, I am sending an email to LinksysCares@linksys.com with my information.  I sure hope they can and will help.