Need bridge mode - can RE6500 do this?

I've been back & forth all over this, with LinkSys, and not resolved it yet.

I bought a LinkSys WRT1900ACS router, which I love. It reaches to my furthest bedroom ( -65db ), which the previous router, a RT-N66U didn't reach very well ( -80db ). It hooks in ethernet bridge mode to a TM822G which gets the Comcast high speed internet & phone.

So with the old router, I've been using a NETGEAR WN2500RP DUAL BAND WIFI ADAPTER in one bedroom, which gets the 5GHz signal from the router on a high shelf in the [word for room where cooking is done] ( "The message body contains [word for room where cooking is done], which is not permitted in this community. Please remove this content before sending your post." Whiskey Tango Foxtrot??? ), and puts it into a blu ray and Hopper in one bedroom, for internet.

Then in my bedroom, I've been using a TP LINK DUAL BAND WIFI ADAPTER TL-WA890EA, to get the wifi signal from the [word for room where cooking is done] and put it into my blu ray player there.

But being I now have the WRT1900ACS instead of the old RT-N66U, I want to take advantage of the 802.11ac and swap those units out for ac wireless bridges.

So I've been going round and round with this, and finally it looks like the RE6500 may work well to replace these two n units with ac, and be able to do beamforming and all that. But the RE6500 doesn't appear to have anything more than an 11 page setup guide, and I cant find anything on how to use it in bridge mode, and shut off the extender/repeater part of it.

Can it do this?

Expert

Re: Need bridge mode - can RE6500 do this?

If you want to have the fastest most flexible and advanced extender\wireless bridge then I recommend the RE7000 instead.

The RE7000 is an excellent device but it works best with a beta firmware which I can provide you with; if you agree to the Linksys beta tester agreement. Otherwise you can wait for the next firmware release which should be coming soon.

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support

[ Edited ]

chadster766 wrote:

If you want to have the fastest most flexible and advanced extender\wireless bridge then I recommend the RE7000 instead.

The RE7000 is an excellent device but it works best with a beta firmware which I can provide you with; if you agree to the Linksys beta tester agreement. Otherwise you can wait for the next firmware release which should be coming soon.

Are you with LinkSys, or selling something on the side? Just so I know?

I just took a look at it, and didn't want a unit that plugs directly into an AC wall socket. I need a stand alone unit with at least 2 ethernet sockets.

CAN the RE6500 be set as a bridge?

Expert

MamaBear2017 wrote:

chadster766 wrote:

I just took a look at it, and didn't want a unit that plugs directly into an AC wall socket. I need a stand alone unit with at least 2 ethernet sockets.

Yes I'm a contractor for Linksys. You can tell by the Linksys logo next to my forum username and the orange color of my username.

Yes when the RE6500 is extending the wireless network is also bridges it to the LAN ports.

Linksys

chadster766 wrote:

MamaBear2017 wrote:

chadster766 wrote:

Yes I'm a contractor for Linksys. You can tell by the Linksys logo next to my forum username and the orange color of my username.

Yes when the RE6500 is extending the wireless network is also bridges it to the LAN ports.

I mentioned that I want to set these as bridges only, not extenders or repeaters. Can this be done with the RE6500?

Expert

AFAIK the RE6500 can't disable it's wireless extender\repeater functionalitly.

Linksys

Ok, it looks like I'll have to get the D-Link Wireless AC1200 Dual Band Wi-Fi Gigabit Range Extender & Access Point (DAP-1650) then, which can work as a wireles bridge.

Thanks.

Highlighted

Ensure that the devices that are connected by wire to the extender have the wired network type set to "private" and not "public." This should solve any problems with remote connections.