Re: WAP300N becomes unresponsive after switch to 5GHz

Yes. I only use it in access point mode.

Like the original poster said, only the wireless led is ON. Nothing else.
And a faint clicking sound from the device.

It doesn't even broadcast an ssid.
It doesn't get an ip from the network. It doesn't have its default fixed ip.

It fails to respond to pressing the reset key for 30 seconds.

Bricked.

Hi didoyf. It's possible that your WAP300N is already defective since there is no power. Have you tried connecting the device to your computer?

Wat. Did you read the earlier posts? All of our devices worked and then stopped working when a change was applied to the config.

Yes it's a hardware issue but obviously caused by a serious bug in the software/firmware. I don't know if it's been addressed by Linksys/Cisco at all yet considering people are still talking about it in this thread.

I guess the solution is to RMA it and make sure we keep telling them that their firmware is bricking devices!

-------
CompTIA A+, Network+, and Security+
HP ATP - Server Solutions v1 Cert
Certified SonicWALL Security Administrator (CSSA)
VMware Certified Data Center Virtualization (VCA-DCV)
Expert

Download the newest firmware before trying a 30/30/30 hard reset.

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support

Aside from what chadster766 suggested, updating the firmware might help. Most of the time that works. You may visit their website http://support.linksys.com/en-us/support/accesspoints/WAP300N and select the correct firmware. 

Help, learn and share Smiley Very Happy

Seems a serious bug, even on the latest firmware version as provided by linksys, after accidentally toggling the radio button on the 5Ghz Band, the access point went in a bricked mode, hard reset as advised does not work. 30/30/30 neither.

[ Edited ]

I think it would be best to contact their support team for them to be truly aware of this scenario. It would also help the engineering team if they get to work with the users who were able to experience the problem first hand.

Check this link: http://support.linksys.com/en-us/contactus?icid=Linksys-Home-Networking-HN-FF-Contact-Us

I am a CCNA professional troubleshooting my brothers WAP300N. 

I gave them the link to this forum post as well is every bit of information they tried to run me around in circles with.

I spoke to an online tech, they attempted it ignore this post and run me in circles till I gave up or got confused so that they could give me a bogus reason.

Linksys please address this bug. It is unprofessional to put the blame on the end user for this.

Apparently, I'm facing the same issue.

after switching to 5GHz, the thing just stopped. can't even access the web config page on the browser and realized that its not even in the network anymore. Like previous symthoms listed here, all 3 LEDs including the power, the ethernet and the WPS lights are off. Except for the Wifi indicator which is ON but can't connect to the SSID. For the benefit of those who isn't clear, even using a LAN cable to connect to it with manual IP address to its last known IP, default IP (meaning the factory reset one) and checking the DHCP table is confirmed done and to no avail.

It can't be hard resetted either the 10 sec or 30/30/30. its totally bricked. If I turn off the power to turn it back on, the power and ethernet indicators work and search accordingly but eventually still died. So, it's definitely working very well except for the firmware which I've upgraded to the latest (v1.0.03 released on may 1st, 2015) recently before this incident.

I hope a solution can be given because I am really proud of the WAP300N before this incident and it was working very well.

Expert

dbching wrote:

Apparently, I'm facing the same issue.

after switching to 5GHz, the thing just stopped. can't even access the web config page on the browser and realized that its not even in the network anymore. Like previous symthoms listed here, all 3 LEDs including the power, the ethernet and the WPS lights are off. Except for the Wifi indicator which is ON but can't connect to the SSID. For the benefit of those who isn't clear, even using a LAN cable to connect to it with manual IP address to its last known IP, default IP (meaning the factory reset one) and checking the DHCP table is confirmed done and to no avail.

It can't be hard resetted either the 10 sec or 30/30/30. its totally bricked. If I turn off the power to turn it back on, the power and ethernet indicators work and search accordingly but eventually still died. So, it's definitely working very well except for the firmware which I've upgraded to the latest (v1.0.03 released on may 1st, 2015) recently before this incident.

I hope a solution can be given because I am really proud of the WAP300N before this incident and it was working very well.

From this post is your WAP300N still bricked?

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support