Re: WAP300N becomes unresponsive after switch to 5GHz

Thank you.  I sent my contact info to LinksysCares@linksys.com

By the way, for Linksys's credit, I have been using an EA6500 wireless router and an RE6500 range extender for over 1.5 years also in my house.  I have updated their firmware to the lastest version too.  No major issues with any Linksys products, except...  The only problem has been this WAP300N (bricked since yesterday).

I have no issues with linksys for the past 15yrs and the wap300N was also working fine for more than a yr too. But as part of the policy, we had to update all firmwares once made available. My procurement just confirmed that it was 471 units of it. All destroyed because of this issue. We had them replaced aftwr shelfing them for about 1yr since linksys never replied back anymore.
Expert

Hi, dbching. You mentioned about having emailed LinksysCares before. Can you send us an email to the same address again and can you mention your community username so we can pull up your record using your email address?  We'd like to take a look at the case and see what can be done to help further. Thanks.

Liezl-10104

Linksys Technical Support

U mean u want me to fwd the email of linksyscares again to linksyscares or another email?
Expert

You can forward the email at LinksysCares@linksys.com, dbching

Kristine_14845

A ticked number was created for me yesterday 24-Mar-2016 by Linksys saying that someone from Linksys would call me.  They did.  Today I got a call from Linksys.  Nice!  A light in the end of the tunnel!

The person was very nice and asked me several questions for troubleshooting.  The call lasted 1h 12 min.  In summary, Linksys tech is in complete denial that this problem occurred and [very surprisingly] has no historical data of similar problems with the WAP300N product (really???) even though I referred this forum to her.  Actually I granted access to my PC and my network to her for her to troubleshoot, and I also showed this forum screen and briefly read some of the articles.  She was still in denial and gave me no solution.  In summary:

1. My WAP300N was working fine for a long time using firmware 1.0.00 and in AP 2.4 GHz mode. Great product thus far!
  2. On 23-Mar-2016 I updated the firmware to the latest 1.0.03 version. No problems, still in AP 2.4 GHz mode.  Please note that there is only one hardware option for this product, i.e., “Hardware version 1.0”, so one can’t pick a wrong firmware for a certain hardware option or vice-versa!
  3. A few minutes later I switched to AP 5 GHz mode (that’s what I needed to do ultimately). It then immediately bricked the unit!!!!
  4. Now I can longer access the unit’s setup page. It no longer shows in the router’s client table.  The unit is bricked (completely useless).
  5. I did the 30/30/30 reset many many many many times, in vain. When I power on the unit, the Power and the Ethernet LED’s flash for a few seconds, then both go blank, then the Wireless LED goes solid on and stays solid on, and the unit stays like that --- the unit is bricked and can’t be accessed anymore.

I understood from her that the WAP300N is an End Of Life product, therefore I conclude that they don’t really care about supporting this product and act in denial if someone raises a problem.

Why is Linksys tech in denial?  Was it my fault?  What did I do wrong?  It makes no sense – the latest firmware bricked my product, that was it!  Incredible poor customer experience here!!!  What a big waste of time!

As i told u. This problem occured last yr days after the firmware was out. I checked with procurement and we had 471 units affected. None of which linksys bothers to replace even though they verbally said they would. I had so many phone calls and also shown them this forum and did everything u said as well. U went thru my shoes but just 1x. I did this more than 10x with them via email and another 20+ via calls probably.

The last thing i got was that they diagnosed it to be bricked but refused to accept its their firmware and say theoratically thats the only explanation but still in denial (most probably cos they know it is but could not officially say it or the poor fella.could get fired). The only official answer was that they will escalate to higher management.

In the end, i got fed up waiting for more than 8 mths so we destroyed all of it and terminated the local vendor's contract for all linksys and related products. And i did it in the capacity as the head of ICT of the entire federal government here. Therefore, its a nationwide banned on the brand.

Also note that the said they have no regional service centre or any qualified support engineers in south east asia.

I ever challenged them to perform the same firmware update and change to 5ghz in front of me and if it doesnt brick, i will compensate them back the millions of dollars contract. Guess what? Silence and disappearance. So, dont bother. This thread is as good as dead. Buy a new device as a small consumer and get on with life. We r just unlucky. Plain simple. This matter is behind me for good.

Many thanks for the info.  I agree with you.  The lesson learned here is that one may run the risks of getting his or her Linksys product(s) bricked and completely useless as a consequence of a normal and ordinary firmware update, officially released and made available by Linksys, and it may not be worth the time and effort to try to prove that Linksys is acting in denial and is automatically blaming the customer, making the customer hopeless to obtain a solution from Linksys on a problem that they Linksys themselves created.  “What a wonderful customer experience, they should be proud of it!”   There are indeed many choices of excellent IT products out there and Linksys may not be one for me any longer, it probably will not be.  Lesson learned here and we move on with our lives.  Enjoy the weekend.  Regards,

I have 4 units with this issue/error before i found this thread, and found out why.

**bleep**! this is not acceptable.

Hi, systemtm. Care to share more details about what happened so we can get to the bottom of this challenge for further isolation? 

Jay-15354