WAP300N becomes unresponsive after switch to 5GHz

This exact thing has now happend to me with two differet WAP300Ns:

- The AP(s) was setup and running as 2.4GHz, and had been for some time.

- Chaning the radio setting to 5GHz, and configuring the same SSID as the 2.4GHz network causes the AP to reboot.

- The AP never completes the boot, but ends in a state with only the radio LED on solid, and a faint clicking sound from inside the cabinet.

Using the factory default reset bottom does nothing.

Are they really bricked?

Re: WAP300N becomes unresponsive after switch to 5GHz

Failed to clarify that:

A) The reboot of the AP after reconfiguring it to 5GHz was a normal service reboot reading the new config.

B) I have not since been able to boot the devices.

came here to say i am having this EXACT same problem.    i also have 2 devices, and the exact same thing happened to both of them.

resetting does nothing and indeed they seem to be bricked.     tried contacting support but they didn't seem to be aware of the issue and this is the only thread i could find anywhere on the internet that addresses this problem.  

they said will probably have to RMA both of them because they are defective (!?).    That's a major flaw i hope they fix that in a new firmware version..........

-------
CompTIA A+, Network+, and Security+
HP ATP - Server Solutions v1 Cert
Certified SonicWALL Security Administrator (CSSA)
VMware Certified Data Center Virtualization (VCA-DCV)

Hi, make sure that the 2.4 GHz has different settings (SSID, Security mode, and channel) from the 5GHz on your router. This is to avoid conflict. After making sure that you have different wifi settings for your router. Reset the WAP300N (1 min), access the page and do the configuration.

It seems a firmware flaw. It should not happen if it's configured in (default) AP mode. If it's in Bridged mode, as indicated here: Article ID 28328you can’t mix bands between the same bridged network. Based on this Article ID 28155, to reset the device back to it's factory defaults is by holding the reset button for 10 secs. But if this method won't revive the WAPs, a hard reset (a.k.a. 30/30/30 reset) can be performed. 

Procedure from DD-WRT Wiki

Hard Reset (aka 30/30/30 reset):

The following procedure will clear out the NVRAM and set device back to default values:
1. With the unit powered on, press and hold the reset button on back of unit for 30 seconds
2. Without releasing the reset button, unplug the unit and hold reset for another 30 seconds
3. Plug the unit back in STILL holding the reset button a final 30 seconds.

Hope this helps.

---
If everyone needs to believe in something, I believe I'll have another beer..

Thank you for the replies.

I tried hard resetting (several times just to make sure!) but the AP is still unable to complete booting, and ends in the same unresponsive state.

Hi Damrod,

Just want to clarify, this was working before and after you set the wireless band to 5GHz that was the time that it acted weird. Is that right?

By the way, if the power light continually blinks that is an indication of a hardware issue. You can fix it by resetting and upgrading the firmware of your WAP300n. If not, then this is already defective.

Hi guys.

I have the same problem. I have tried the reset and hard reset with no luck. The three LED's on the AP flash randomly and I am unable to connect at all, all this after having the unit form2 days.

Any advice please, is there another way to connect to the AP to update the firmware?

Thanks. Alan

I have the same problem. Resetting doesn't work. Holding it down 10 seconds doesn't work. neither does 30/30/30 method of resetting.

it is strange that Linksys has not yet posted a solution nor an acknowledgement of the problem.

@didoyf have you tried accessing the user interface of your WAP300N after the reset? 

You can use the steps on this link to access the UI: http://kb.linksys.com/Linksys/ukp.aspx?pid=80&app=vw&vw=1&login=1&json=1&docid=6318eaaff2ef4b3cb7fd6...

I've had a similar issue before, try to check if the powerlight of the WAP300N is blinking or not. If it does keep on blinking, it may have a hardware issue.

To add, did you configure your WAP300N as an Access point? If not, what mode is it using?

Hope that helps. Cat Very Happy