WDS between LAPN and LAPAC

Hi guys,

i am trying to set up my three AC : 2xLAPN600 and 1 LAPAC1750PRO in my 2 floor building.

First floor i have got Router wired to LAPAC1750PRO, at the second floor i've got on two opposite sides the 2 LAPN600 that are connected wireless to the Lapac.

I've tried to connect Lapac through WDS protocol to each LAPN using a single WDS interface for each of them ( using the appropriate mac adress and no security key ) . 

The first i noticed, lapn web interfaces contains a wds root option meanwhile lapac just hold wds interfaces options.

On all of them i've set a static ip address and DCHP server is enabled from the main router.

Using WDS i had no success in getting a successful internet connection, meanwhile using workgroup bridge i had it.

I am a beginner in everything related to network infrastructures,so any help would be appreciated about this, just to understand i ncase what i am doing wrong with this set up.

Thanks in advance,

Alessio.

Expert

Re: WDS between LAPN and LAPAC

The LAPAC1750PRO is the only Linksys AP that can't be configured as a WDS Root. You will have to designate one of your LAPN600s' as your WDS Root and connect the other APs' to it.

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support

Thanks Chad for your reply,

so as i supposed it could not work.

So do i'll have any advantages in switching Second floor LAPN with 1st floor LAPAC? is just a matter of protocol between Workgroup and WDS ? My environment is based on 40 clients access  per hour, not more than 20 simultaneously what would it be a good set up starting from the fact that just 1 AP can be wired connect to base router?

Thanks in advance chad, i appreciate your help

Alessio

Expert

AlessioZ1 wrote:

Thanks Chad for your reply,

so as i supposed it could not work.

So do i'll have any advantages in switching Second floor LAPN with 1st floor LAPAC? is just a matter of protocol between Workgroup and WDS ? My environment is based on 40 clients access  per hour, not more than 20 simultaneously what would it be a good set up starting from the fact that just 1 AP can be wired connect to base router?

Thanks in advance chad, i appreciate your help

Alessio

WDS and Workgroup Bridge are separate and not compatible protocols.

This is the standard WDS network topology:

Router => WDS Root AP => WDS Client AP1 => WDS Client AP2

=> WDS Client AP3

Linksys

Hi chad,

sorry for bumping up this post but i'm still experiencing some troubles in setting up this network environment, hardly caused by my inexperiences about this argument.

Base floor i have got my ISP dsl-router to which it's connected an asus ethernet switch(Asus gx-d1051). First floor ( after changes ), there's a LAPN600 wired to the swtich and set as WDS AP root, i've tried connecting second floor LAPAC1750PRO and the other LAPN600 as wds interfaces, but it's working only with the lapn not with lapac. it shows connected status but it's seems not to be connecting to internet.

I then ( for sure useless ) tried to move LAPAC to base floor and moved both of LAPN600 at the second floor, so that the LAPAC is wired to the switch and tried workgroup bridge but with no success. LAPAC got 2x poe ports, does it work if i connect the second port straight to the second floor lapn? Anyway i know it sounds all of this confusing, but i cant figure out how to solve it. Could you give me any adivse on how to get all of this working? it would be very kind cause it seems i am doing something ( or probably everything ) wrong.

Thanks in advance

Alessio

Expert

AlessioZ1 wrote:

it's working only with the lapn not with lapac.

Unfortunately it sounds like the LAPN and LAPAC WDS are not compatible. I will check with Linksys engineering and get back to you.

Linksys
Highlighted
Expert

Linksys engineering got back to me. The LAPN and LAPAC have different wireless chipsets which makes WDS incompatible between the LAPN and LAPAC APs'.

Linksys