a dilly of a pickle. how do.... re6500

So. i purchased a linksys re6500 max HG unit and have been waiting for cables and wall panels to arrive and something dawned on me, the last time i tried to set up a router to my existing modem/router (comcast arris surfboard extreme, not sure which model but has telephony) and always got errors about multiple devices on the same ip.

now, im going to be using the RE6500 as a wireless only AP but dont want to set this up for mesh networking, and cannot disable the modems functionality (the RE6500 will be 100ft from the modem on cat6 23AWG riser cable) as it serves the house and i am attempting to extend service to my shop. i tried using this as a wireless repeater already and it didnt out perform a legacy WNR2000rpt V2 (netgear n300 *allegedly* repeater) in both range of coverage but antennae strangth.

so. there is 1 device always wired into the modem/router ap
usually about 5 or 6 devices on wireless in the home
cannot bridge mode the modem as this will stop all functionality inside the home of the modem gateway
need only wireless from the RE6500
i had read if i change my address on the ap to 192.168.1.2 i shouldnt have any issues. i must have missed this day in class about doing this or something and its been a long time since i dealth with something like this so i am a little rusty as to procedure

Re: a dilly of a pickle. how do.... re6500

@MrUniverse

Hi there! Let's get this sorted out. How many WiFi bars you'll get after setting up the range extender? Is this true for all devices connected to the unit? Make sure to run the latest firmware on the unit. BTW, what steps have you done so far in isolating this issue?

Carl_S 21985
Linksys Technical Support

ive moved both antennae (as stated they are now on weighted extension bases) to different areas in the same place as my current unit.

there is no differentiation as far as i know between the TX and RX bands on the antannea so i cant isolate one to do one job and another to do the other.

i have 3 firmware versions i have tried, including the beta firmware in which the connection was still horrid.

5gh broadcast strength (why i bought it) is abysmal if at all non existant.

so, ive moved the extender unit in wireless repeater mode all over the garage (garage is 40 feet from modem) RE6500 unit is 50 feet from modem. ive tried changing the MHZ for broadcast to 40mhz on the 5ghz instead of the factory 80 and left the 2.4 at 20mhz and did nothing, ive tried a combination of all 3 every which way you can and still no fix.

so i tried to use the mode where it broadcasts 2.4 outward and communicates VIA 5ghz with the modem and got even less stability from that and i have no 5ghz signal the 100 feet the signal has to travel to get to the shop. and it only has to pass through one wall.

ive hard reset the unit several times and factory reverted it 2 times after each firmware update or flash ive done as well as tried every setting with every version of the firmware available to me

[ Edited ]

as for bars. when i first connect and set the re6500 up as a wireless repeater it shows great signal for about 5 minutes and then the signal drops to out of range and always does this no matter where the unit is. it was next to the modem and did this during initial setup. at my pc i have 4 bars at 75DB signal (about equal to the wnr unit) but then drops off the face of the earth once the wireless repeater looses its signal to the router set up

both my pc (desktop) my girlfriends pc (laptop) and my phone (galaxy S8) loose connection frequently and once i set up the wireless RE6500 as a wireless repeater i can no longer access settings ever through the designated IP the modem issues the repeater and have to factory reset it to regain comms with the unit. this is a brand new unit, this shouldnt be an issue

@MrUniverse

Got all that noted! We'd like our Escalation Engineers to look into this case to further assist to see if what is causing this issue. Please shoot us an email LinksysCares@linksys.com along with your contact details (Full Name, Phone Number, Location - City/State), firmware version, community username and a link to this post for reference. We'll be looking forward to it. Thanks. 

Carl_S 21985
Linksys Technical Support
Highlighted

why. so i can sit there and go through 3 hours of troubleshooting on the phone with your peon tard team that ive already done to then be forced to send my unit back to be sent a refurb back and not fix the problem..... no im good

answer my question as highlighted in the op

how do i set this in a wired connection to extend my wireloess range without setting the modem into bridge mode