wireless access point, to extend wireless signal

I want to strengthen my 2.4g wireless signal from my wrt3200acm using my existing wrt1900acs with a PLW400 powerline adapter.  I am told this can be done but 1900 needs to be in access point mode.  Can you lay out the setup step by step? 

Expert

Re: wireless access point, to extend wireless signal

Configure the WRT1900acs:

1. Connectivity => Internet Settings => IPv4 => Edit => Bridge Mode
  2. When in Bridge Mode configuration page assign the WRT1900acs a Static IP Address outside router WRT3200acm DHCP Server range. (Example: 192.168.1.2, Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0, Default Gateway 192.168.1.1, DNS1 192.168.1.1)
  3. Apply the Internet Settings and connect only the WRT1900acs WAN\Internet port to the Powerline adapter
  4. Login the WRT1900acs using it's new Static IP Address. (Example: http://192.168.1.2)
  5. Duplicate your WRT3200acm wireless settings on the WRT1900acs

That should be it.

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support

What is the EXACT difference in setting up an access point in this fashion (Lan to Wan as mentioned in step #3) VS. an access point set up as LAN to LAN?

I just got assistance from you guys (thanks BTW) in setting up a lan to lan, and the only thing I can tell is you get more features accessible when using lan to lan.

I searched for a long time trying to figure out which method was preferrable or correct, and got no answers - which is why I came here and asked.

Is there any other differences other then keeping the options available vs not having any other options?

EA3500, EA9200,
ISP Modem: CODA-4582, 1000/30 Package
Expert

@BigJug I'm confused that you say a LAN to LAN cascade doesn't disable features. When you cascade a Linksys Smartwifi router in a LAN to LAN you still have to disable it's DHCP Server which will disable the same features that putting in Bridge Mode does.

Bridge Mode is a simpler configuration for novice users and allows the router to still get updates for firmware and time. Also the Internet LED will stop blinking.

Linksys

Hey Chadster.... I just browsed an old thread.. and just now found this one.

Anyhow I upgraded to a refurb EA6900 last year and it works well. But there's an identical model for sale used and cheap. So,  is it easy, or not, to use one of the two in bridge mode, and the second as  wireless access point or range extender? 

Expert

Yes, put one of the EA6900's into bridge mode as described earlier in this thread and you should be good to go :-)

Linksys

Thank yewwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!   :Cat Happy

Highlighted

In setting up a WRT1900 AC as an extender the instructions are very good but what do you connect the extender router to when assigning the same MAC address and changing it's settings? Is it the host (new) router thruogh an eitheret cable? or can it be accessed by WIFI?

So far I'm unable to get into the UI for the old WRT1900ac. I'm using a new Comcast supplied router as the  new main or host.

Thanks