Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Camera's RTSP Function not compatible with most phones.

[ Edited ]

Aside from the usual array of phones that don't support rtsp which cannot access linksys cams... add the new enV3 which can stream m.youtube.com and has rtsp but are still unable to load the stream. If someone would like to prove me wrong I'll paypal them 20 bucks... drop in the bucket compared to how much money ive spent just to try and check up on my cat while I'm on the road! I guarantee it's not my network because I can remotely view the rtsp over VLC and my sister's blackberry works sporadically.

I repeat... do not consider RTSP a selling point on the linksys cameras... the technology is too new and just doesn't seem to be tested on... REAL PHONES or REAL NETWORKS???!??

Edit: Every verizon phone I've seen tested for linksys cams are now discontinued!

Message Edited by sloth on 10-11-2009 06:35 PM

Re: Camera's RTSP Function not compatible with most phones.

Confirmed with Verizon tech that there are different levels of rtsp capabilities and alot of that depends on the browser that your mobile web is running from. They said you can't count on it working even if m.youtube.com works. Considering this was almost the entire basis for discontinuing the wvc200 and making the 210... what a blunder! We need a list of phones that work if the compatibility is so arbitrary. Come on Linksys!

I think you are missing the mark here, if anything RTSP support is GROWING.  There are tons of phones like the Blackberry Curve, Verizon Voyager, All new Windows Mobile devices, and most other multimedia phones have RTSP support and more coming every day.  Although it's crazy, Iphone 3g doesn't support RTSP but let's hope once they make a move to verizon we will see that.

If you are having issues on RTSP we have youtube videos and howto tutorials on using RTSP, how to set it up, forwarding ports and using products like VLC player to test the RTSP on the inside network before testing externally.

Linksys Camera Reviews, HowTo's, Tips and Tricks

http://www.MyHomeServer.com

http://www.MyHomeServer.com

Linksys IP camera reviews, Tutorials and How-To's on Web & Mobile Streaming

iPhone doesn't support it but it has an app called "streamer" that will make it work. I've streamed a Linksys WVC54GCA with it. Just an FYI for those iPhone users out there Smiley Happy Its not the best app but it does the job.

Back from a fresh visit to a Verizon factory store and had a chance to test my network on the enV Touch which is the successor to the Voyager (I repeat... a discontinued phone!). I have a valid complaint with both Verizon and Linksys for this reason... Their sales and tech all insisted the enV3 had mobile web parity with the touch, being a good consumer I automatically don't believe them and get a second opinion on this forum (which insisted m.youtube.com meant automatic compatibility {that turned out to be false as well} even though it really is just a coincidence). So again, there seems to be no way of checking compatibility without testing the phone physically (which in my opinion should be handled by linksys). If someone with the power to write some firmware knows how to increase the compatibility of the rtsp feed with more mobile browsers it might be a good idea if theyre going to keep this product line alive! Youtube rtsp working and linksys rtsp not working on one of the most popular new verizon web phones just seems like a maximum gain firmware fix opportunity. Home Server I appreciate the help and getting the information out there I just want to make sure more people don't fall into a dissapointed state over an otherwise improving company (I love the new line of routers linksys!)