Re: Cannot read AVI files

It is totally ridiculous that Linksys somehow decides to screw-up the video files.

The recorder does not have sufficient computation power to transcode the streams.

Therefore, they MUST be stored in their original format.

We expected that Linksys just stores the original (typically H.264) streams into an AVI container.

However, they seem to do more than this, since the video stream (after extracting the video stream from the AVI file) is corrupted.

This means that some bits were added, or hussled.

Obviously, it is totally unacceptable that you would need to use a proprietary application (NVRPlayer.exe) to play standard video streams. Moreover, they don't even support Linux, so there is NO way I can view the streams that we recorded. Terrible!

For us, the product is totally useless like this.

Why would a product that pretends to be a video recorder **bleep** up the recorded video?

Apart from this, it is quite bad that the support crew does not use their own forum for support. Another minus there...

My 2 cents of frustration...

-- Rob

Another question: why does the recorder decide to split the stream in AVI files of 5 minutes? This should definitely be configurable!

I dug into this problem a little further and it seems not to be so big after all.

Linksys, for unknown reasons, changes the FOURCC code of the AVI File (that defines which video stream is stored inside the AVI container) from "H264" to "D264".

This makes the file unplayable in any media player.

Simply changing the FOURCC code back to "H264" makes the AVI file readable again.

I did this using the Linux Open Source software "CFOURCC" (available from https://github.com/mypapit/cfourcc).

For windows, there are several alternatives, such as https://sourceforge.net/projects/vsfccchanger/.

I did have some problems with extracting the raw H.264 elementary stream (ES) from the AVI file though.

These problems I do not have when I directly capture this stream from the camera.

But I am not sure if this is related to general AVI container limitations, or limitations in the interpretation in the Linksys recorder.

Normally, I convert from AVI to raw H.264 using "avconv -i file.avi -vcodec copy file.h264" followed by "MP4Box -add file.h264 file.mp4".

This did not work for me, but using the tool mencoder, I can now convert directly into MP4 using "mencoder file.avi -ovc copy -o file.mp4".

Anyway, issues solved guys!

The guys from Linksy support could have just told us!

-1 for the support team, and thanks to all people that do post issues like these on the Internet, so that we can solve YOUR problems OURSELVES, thanks Linksys!

OK Linksys Support, we are doing your job.

Please provide a solution for us Mac users.

@jaba: you should be able to compile most linux programs under Mac OS. Give it a try. Otherwise, find the corresponding tools for FourCC code changing (which is basically editing a field in the AVI header) and video compression (like avconv / mencoder / ffmpeg). I am sure you will find it out there somewhere...

Expert

[ Edited ]

@jaba. The LNR0208C (network video recorder) requires the NVR Player to be installed in a Windows-operated computer. This software includes the required codec for the raw .avi file to be played either via VLC, MPC, and WMP. At the time being, this is the product design. Our Engineering team is already aware about this challenge with the Mac OS, but we don’t have any ETA for an action plan.

Regards, 

Ethel_10700

Linksys Technical Support 

As already pointed out in my previous posts, this is bad by design. The AVI file is just a container around a raw video stream. By changing the FourCC code in the AVI header, the Linksys engineers intentionally force you to use their (Windows-only) NVR player to view the file, while this could be perfectly done in ANY player that supports the compression format of the recorded camera stream.

The good news is that by simply correcting the FourCC code in the hader, the file becomes playable and you can work around the vendor lockin idea of Linksys,

Highlighted

robkew wrote:

As already pointed out in my previous posts, this is bad by design. The AVI file is just a container around a raw video stream. By changing the FourCC code in the AVI header, the Linksys engineers intentionally force you to use their (Windows-only) NVR player to view the file, while this could be perfectly done in ANY player that supports the compression format of the recorded camera stream.

The good news is that by simply correcting the FourCC code in the hader, the file becomes playable and you can work around the vendor lockin idea of Linksys,

I agree with Robkew: The only way around the fact that the Linksys SMB Surveillance system only works with IE (that means Windows/PC) would be to be able to use a third party app to access the videostreams AND be able to access trough FTP to the video files on Port 21.

It is not acceptable to have to use a Header changer: Imagine you get an intrusion at home when you are not in front of your PC, or you have none like many households have nowadays. How long does it take until you are able to read the avi files?

Please Linksys, get this and all the rest sorted out. I already reviewed the NVR and the bullet IP camera from the SMB range on your US shop: I am still waiting for the review to appear, everything is recorded on video.