Highlighted
Accepted Solution

LRT224 Basic DUAL WAN Setup Behind Dual MODEM/Routers

[ Edited ]

Hi there - new member here. I am installing an LRT224 behind two LTE Modems. Both modems function as routers, although one does allow to be changed to function as gateway. I am keeping both as router for simplicity and consistency. Here is my current setup. Everything is working fairly well, but the documentation is poor and I wonder if it can be optimized.

MODEM1 LAN  (static 192.168.1.1) > LRT224 WAN1 (static 192.168.1.2, GW 192.168.1.1, DNS 192.168.1.1)

MODEM2 LAN  (static 192.168.2.1) > LRT224 WAN2 (static 192.168.2.2, GW 192.168.2.1, DNS 192.168.2.1)

LRT224 LAN (192.168.0.1/24, DHCP Server)

Dual WAN set to Sticky Balance with default rules TCP (80~80) and TCP (443~443)

I have seen some examples where people are defining DNS IP's outside their equipment, but my approach is to set DNS to the default gateway and let each modem handle DNS. Please let me know if there is an advantage to setting this up differently.

Things seem to work pretty well like this, except my work laptop which I connect to my work network using Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client. This is SSL client and I believe uses TCP443 already listed in Sticky Balance rules. Every 10 minutes when the Sticky Balance rule resets, I lose connectivity. How do I setup a persistent connection to one WAN for my laptop to prevent the disconnects?

Also, I do not understand the LRT224 Advanced Routing settings of Gateway or Router. I would think it should be Router, but it defaulted to Gateway and that is working and RIP disabled. I have only the default VLAN1 and no plans to implement additional VLANs.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Re: LRT224 Basic DUAL WAN Setup Behind Dual MODEM/Routers

[ Edited ]

Hi Tekuhn,

Using direct DNS is better on some point since it does not need to ask your modem/router anymore for DNS queries and adds up work to your device. It instead treats the packet as regular traffic and route to your outside DNS server.  Assigning local DNS IP address will only be efficient if your modem/router records DNS numbers and can do the DNS resolutions by itself, making the packet into a shorter trip.  Otherwise your modem/router still interprets it and forwards it to the DNS server assigned to it.

If your Cisco AnyConnect disconnects every 10 mins then this means that your VPN connection is not sending any packet to the VPN tunnel service port and the sticky balance ages out.  Sticky balance ages out every 10 mins if no traffic.  I would suggest to look for Keep Alive option on Cisco Anyconnect and put it less than 10 mins.

Routing is a bit defined differently if compared to the usual Cisco/Sonicwall.  Gateway here only specifies that the router is the gateway to all internet from its LAN which means it defines 0.0.0.0 as entire IP segment to go out on its WAN interface and undergo NAT.  It will not also respond to incoming routing requests (static, RIP etc.) into its WAN port.  Router mode on the other hand, defines that it will not do any NAT and treat the packet received as it is and forwards it based on the routing table defined into it. 

Thank you for the response. I had already resolved the Cisco AnyConnect issue by setting up a static path for the laptop IP address to a single WAN. Unfortunately, the LRT224 doesn't support DHCP reservations, so I had to setup the laptop with a static IP outside the DHCP scope which is fine, but not ideal. The next issue I had was that my newly installed RING video doorbell also didn't work with the Sticky Balance and I usually had no audio when establishing a connection. That would clear as soon as I changed from Sticky Balance over to a Failover setup. My objective in buying a load balancing router was to evenly spread my bandwidth over two WAN connections. Ultimately I decided to step up to a Peplink Balance 20. I have had zero issues using a default Load Balance algorithm (one of seven built-in) with no special configurations needed for either the Cisco AnyConnect or the RING doorbell. The Peplink provides considerably more configuration flexibility if needed.

You are welcome Smiley Happy.  Good to hear too that you've resolved the issue but sad that it has to be another manufacturer resolving it.  In case you have to encounter any Linksys SMB product in the future, please don't hesitate to post it here in the community.

I just also wanted to cite that LRT224 have DHCP reservation, it's just named differently which is "IP and MAC Binding". 

IPandMACBinding