Highlighted

LRT224 Becomes Unresponsive, Requires Power Cycle

I've been having troubles with the LRT224 (running firmware v1.0.3.09) becoming unresponsive to DNS requests after a certain duration of time.

Local access seems to be retained for the most part (can access web interfaces of NAS, Plex server, CIFS/Windows File Service of network devices, but not the router interface). When trying to access any other webpages (including the router web interface), the error DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_BAD_CONFIG is reported. On occassion, DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET is reported instead. The issue is resolved with a power cycle.

Two RMAs have been filed as a result of this issue, and this is the second replacement device. On the original and first replacement device, the issue occurred regularly, rarely reaching 48 hours of uptime. The device currently installed has had better success (about a week of uptime), but is now starting to exhibit similar problems.

Does anyone have suggestions?

Re: LRT224 Becomes Unresponsive, Requires Power Cycle

Quite weird. Did you manage to capture the logs during downtime? 

On the previous one, sort of. Luckily, the one currently installed is more stable, so we've only had a couple crashes so far.

The logs seem to truncate when the router becomes unresponsive. I was unable to successfully pull log information after the router was recovered via power cycle. A PDF of the emailed logs is available here, although I doubt it's what you'd be looking for.

Looks like a DNS problem. 

Try assigning Google's Public DNS (8.8.8.8 and/or 8.8.4.4) to the router to see if it corrects the issue. DNS lookups will use Google's Public DNS once you do that.

I tried to implement Google's DNS, but I'm not sure if I did it in the right location (Configuration → DHCP  → DHCP Setup → Static DNS 1/2, "Use DNS as below"), since it's not reflecting it on the router status page.

It did crash early this morning, so I was able to pull logs from the incident. I highlighted the row where I had to powercycle the router, it also looks like some Kernel entries were logged as well (maybe that can help diagnose the issue?).

New Logs from Router

Expert

The DNS Server change should have been on the WAN connection so the LRT could use it. In the DHCP Server settings it will only benefit the client computers.

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support

Found it (under Configuration → IPv4 → WAN Setting → WAN1 config → "Use following DNS server addresses"). Hopefully this might resolve the issue.

Unfortunately, setting Google as the static DNS server did not do the trick. The router became unresponsive and required a power cycle once more. Any other ideas?