LRT224 Wan Failover issue reverting to WAN1

We are using a LRT224 in a WAN failover situation.  Due to data limits, we want to be able to turn off the Verizon LTE modem and use a much slower DSL connection.  When we turn off the LTE modem, which is connected to WAN1, failover seems to work switching to the DSL connection on WAN2.  However, when faster speeds are desired, we want to turn on the Verizon modem and have it revert back to WAN1.  This is where the issue is - Internet simply doesn't work automatically.  I believe hitting renew works, but shouldn't it request an IP address automatically when the Ethernet line is active again?  I would think no matter the configuration, failover should always revert back to WAN1 when internet is available again on that port but it's not working that way.

Expert

Re: LRT224 Wan Failover issue reverting to WAN1

I recommend that the DSL connection be WAN1 and the LTE modem on WAN2. Then set the Link Failover Primary WAN to WAN1 and disable Network Service Detection.

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support

So under your scenario, when the LTE modem is turned on, it will take over the WAN duties automatically?  At that point, the DSL will still be active but we don't want to use it at all.  Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but if the Primary WAN is WAN1, when will the failover actually occur if the DSL isn't turned off and still has active internet on WAN1?

Expert

AFAIk if WAN1 is connected to DSL, WAN2 is connected to LTE and WAN1 is set as Primary. When you unplug WAN1 then WAN2 will become instantly active. Once you plug WAN1 back in again the WAN2 will be disabled and only WAN1 active Smiley Very Happy

I think if you just disable the WAN ports as needed in Port Management would save you from having to do it physically.

Linksys

That's the thing - I think you have my scenario backward. I know it may seem backwards since most people use LTE as a backup since it's slower, in this case I want it as the primary because it's so much faster. Except there's the issue of limited data usage. So, we want to be able to turn LTE on and off at will to "turbo" the internet. So, we have it hooked up how you would suggest - LTE (primary) on WAN1 and DSL (backup) on WAN2. You suggest turning off Network Service Detection. Why is that? It currently is enabled, but it doesn't seem to be popping the LTE active automatically when we turn the LTE modem on for "turbo" speed.
Expert

[ Edited ]

NSD is more for Load Balancing than Failover IMO. It could account for the Failover delay.

Linksys

We tried this today and turning on the LTE modem on WAN1 doesn't seem to take back over the connection and give us the faster speeds we want from that connection.

Main Connection is LTE on WAN1.  If LTE goes down (or is powered off in our case)--> go to DSL on WAN2.  When Main connection comes back on (or is powered on in our case) --> go back to LTE on WAN1.

Can you please let me know exactly how this needs to be configured on the failover settings page?  We tried it with and without NSD and it seems not to pop back to WAN1 automatically when ethernet is reactivated.  Thanks.

Expert

I will get that information for you.

IMO your settings are good. What happens if you physically disconnect the WAN port?

Linksys

LRT224 with Verizon LTE router on WAN2 not detected?

I am having a problem with my LRT224 picking up my Verizon LTE with voice, it doesn't seem it detect it?

I currently have the LRT224 set up as a 'gateway' should it be a configured as a 'router' for working mode?

The Verizon router has three LAN ports and I am plugging the Verizon into WAN2/DMZ port, on my WAN1 port I have a local WISP provider with the static ip address, gateway and DNS addresses plugged in and it works fine.

However as soon as I attach the LRT224 to the Verizon router, the Verizon router seems to 'lockup' and needs a factory reset.

The LRT224 IP address is 192.168.1.1.

Expert

Re: LRT224 with Verizon LTE router on WAN2 not detected?

jreding1 wrote:

I am having a problem with my LRT224 picking up my Verizon LTE with voice, it doesn't seem it detect it?

I currently have the LRT224 set up as a 'gateway' should it be a configured as a 'router' for working mode?

The Verizon router has three LAN ports and I am plugging the Verizon into WAN2/DMZ port, on my WAN1 port I have a local WISP provider with the static ip address, gateway and DNS addresses plugged in and it works fine.

However as soon as I attach the LRT224 to the Verizon router, the Verizon router seems to 'lockup' and needs a factory reset.

The LRT224 IP address is 192.168.1.1.

How do you have WAN2 configured?

What is the LTE IP Address?

Linksys