Putting a Palo Alto 200 inline between cable modem and EA8500

Hi folks-

Would any of you know why my EA8500 will not work over a Vwire to my cable modem via my PA-200?  I configured a different port as a dhcp client and it pulled back info from my ISP so from tthe PA to my ISP is working but not working from my WR as it cannot get internet connectivity.  Any suggestions on what config changes I need to make on the router?  I don't have any policy on the PA yet so....nothing should be preventing comms.

Thanks,

DC

Expert

Re: Putting a Palo Alto 200 inline between cable modem and EA8500

dsclearie wrote:

Hi folks-

Would any of you know why my EA8500 will not work over a Vwire to my cable modem via my PA-200?  I configured a different port as a dhcp client and it pulled back info from my ISP so from tthe PA to my ISP is working but not working from my WR as it cannot get internet connectivity.  Any suggestions on what config changes I need to make on the router?  I don't have any policy on the PA yet so....nothing should be preventing comms.

Thanks,

DC

There are many reasons the EA8500 wouldn't work with the PA-200 firewall but all of them are PA-200 configurations and nothing to do with the EA8500 itself.

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support

Understood but this this is blank.... there is no policy, using a v-wire with untrust/trust default zones, etc.  So from your view there is no config necessary on the wireless router needed and it is most likely the PA?

Highlighted
Expert

dsclearie wrote:

Understood but this this is blank.... there is no policy, using a v-wire with untrust/trust default zones, etc.  So from your view there is no config necessary on the wireless router needed and it is most likely the PA?

Yes the EA8500 Internet Settings are DHCP by default so it should get Internet access same as a PC would. If the EA8500 detected an IP Subnet conflict with the PA it would auto fix. Not much to go wrong there.

The PA-200 looks like a professional product so you might have to dive into it's configuration to get thing going.

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/Configuration-Articles/Setting-Up-the-PA-200-for-Home-and-Small...

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support

Thanks for the input.  I was trying just use the default VWire solution what this config proposes (btw, for folks trying to use it, it's missing the step to delete the default vwire object or your commit will fail).  If I find a way to use VW's I'll post back.  Thanks!

[ Edited ]

FYI, for others looking to limit config on a PA-200 FW  (and / or use VWire) using a Linksys wireless router... I had to put a static IP on the internet connection and set the gateway to the IP of my modem....  A bit sloppy as now I cannot tell what device is what looking in the FW logs as they are all show up as the IP of my router but....at least things are working now.  I think Linksys needs to investigate what's going on here as the router clearly knew it's IP and the proper gateway but couldn't find it's way out.  ugh...