Accepted Solution

No Longer Can Find Extender

I'll try to make this short as possible.  I was using the RE1000 upstairs with a Cisco g router that was downstairs, and it worked well most of the time.  I then started using it also with a Panasonic DVD player upstairs that was not wireless, and that worked well.  But sometimes after using it with the DVD player, the extender did not work right with my PC.  It would be a local connection only, and asked for a user name/password.  I had no idea what it was asking for--but after reading some FAQ, I think I was suppose to type "admin" in both boxes.  Not knowing this, I would simply press the reset button, and reinstall the extender using the CD.  That worked fine many times.  But that started not working.  The extender could no longer be found, even though I had it in the same outlet near the PC and router as I always did.  Funny thing is, when I then tried the extender upstairs again, it usually worked again.  But now I just set up the Linsky EA4500 router tonight to replace my g router.  After successfully doing so, I then tried the extender CD again to try to set that up with the new router.  It did not work.  It can't find the extender at all, even though I reset it, and tried again and again.  Thus, I can't use the extender with my DVD player upstairs right now, and the new router actually did not increase reception upstairs on the PC, so I'm one bar less without the extender.  Thus, what do I do now?

Highlighted

Re: No Longer Can Find Extender

Up till now you tried installing the RE1000 with the help of the CD. So, try to install the RE1000 manually. There are four (4) wireless settings that you need to identify on your router or access point before setting up your RE1000.

•    Wireless network name (SSID)

•    Wireless channel

•    Wireless security mode (WPA/WPA2 Personal or WEP)

•    Network key or passphrase

Here is the link to setup the RE1000:  http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=ca96fc48798d43489b4d16f9d77c14f9_Guidelines_in_Man...

Thanks, it worked and was very easy to do.  Now, using the extender with the Linksys N router, instead of a g router, my signal strength upstairs has doubled, from two bars to four.  I haven't tried it with the DVD player yet, though.  If that doesn't work, I'll probably be back here. Cat Happy

So, uptill now all the devices connected wireless are working well with a good speed.. 

Yes, I tried the DVD player last night with the extender, and connected very quickly to Amazon.  Before getting the N router, it sometimes took a couple tries to get connected, and then it started not connecting at all.  Tonight I put the extender back in the wall outlet in the hallway upstairs to use with the computer, and it worked fine--4 bars.Cat Happy

Thats nice to hear! Just make sure not to use your celphone near the extender to avoid interference.

Thanks for the cell phone info.  I didn't know that.  What other devices might interfere with the extender?

IF you are near a microwave oven. Using two-way radio near the extender. Or a wireless phone.

Hi SundayAtDusk,

Wonder if you could help me out.  I purchased the Linksys RE1000 and for some reason, despite following the CD that came with it, and watching demos on Youtube on how to set it up with my 2Wire router - my notebook cannot detect the extender.  The RE1000 is plugged into a wall socket near my 2Wire router and I am sitting less than 30 feet away.  The RE1000 is lighted up solid. 

I am running my notebook using Windows XP.

Hi, 

There are three (3) ways to set up the RE1000:

• By running the Setup CD that comes with the device. For instructions, click hereNOTE: If you do not have the Setup CD, you can download the Cisco Connect setup software from the Linksys Support Site.
  • By using the Wi-Fi Protected Setup™ (WPS) button on the range extender if your router also supports this feature. To learn how to connect devices using this feature, click here.
  • By configuring the device through the web-based setup page. To learn how, click here. For video instructions, click here.

Hope this helps. Smiley Wink

---
If everyone needs to believe in something, I believe I'll have another beer..