Highlighted
Accepted Solution

re6500 powerlink to router

Hello,  WOnder if anyone can help or point to previous discussion.

I have a 4G router in highest floor (3) of large house.  This is linked to other devices successfully via Powerlink.

I have purchased an RE6500 to provide good wireless coverage for mobile devices within first floor.

Q:  How do I connect RE6500 via Powerlink to router on 3rd floor ( as 4G router has very weak wireless signal )?

Many thanks for any ideas even if this means purchase of different unit.

Expert

Re: re6500 powerlink to router

I believe the RE6500's latest firmware now supports Bridge\AP Mode which should allow you to connect the Powerline directly to the RE6500's Ethernet port.

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support

Chad, Many thanks for your prompt and useful information. I'll be sure to check firmware level when I setup system and report back.

Chad,  I setup the RE6500 as a WiFi extender ( standard ) after quite a struggle.  I then downloaded what was stated as the latest firmware successfully ( from 2016 ) but nowhere within the re6500 options does it refer to anything about setting itself up as a directly wired unit.  I am no expert but not a tyro either and it was not an easy install of this product.

For example; I can only reliably gain access to the RE6500 if I talk to it directly ) with the router wifi off ).  If I identify its IP address when connected on an iPad by wifi and subsequently open that address it will often claim it could not find it.

One issue which perplexed; if I adopted the router's SSID ( a normal option ) WiFi performance as tested on the client device ( iPad ) was degraded with the PING in particular being an order of magnitude slower than if the RE6500 were setup with a different SSID.

Basically, I'm up and running but with separate SSIDs ( which I do not really want ) and only as an extender.  I want it configured via a wired connection and working as an AP.

Is there a setup sequence I am missing here?

Expert

maxiedog wrote:

I then downloaded what was stated as the latest firmware successfully ( from 2016 )

This is not the latest firmware. You should follow the directions on the Linksys support site for installing the latest firmware for the RE6500.

Linksys LLC

Product:         Linksys RE6500
Compatible SKU:  RE6500HG and RE6500
Classification:  Firmware Release Notes
==================================================================================

IMPORTANT: 
- If your current firmware does not take firmware 1.0.06.011, please first upgrade 
to firmware 1.0.05.003.
- DO NOT power down the router during the firmware upgrade process.
- Reset to factory default after upgrading firmware

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Firmware version:	v1.0.07.012
Release date:		Aug 11, 2017

- CE RED update
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Firmware version:	v1.0.07.009
Release date:		July 6, 2017

- Added the support for setting up the product as a wireless access point.

- The browser based setup process will invite users to provide email contacts for 
product registration.

- RE6500-ME (sold to the Middle East region) allows users to enable the 5GHz UNII-3 band
(channels 149~165).

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support

Sirs,  I followed the extender's menu settings for firmware upgrade and it returned what I decribed.  Many thanks for your further advice and I will report back when done.

VBR

Sirs,  Very many thanks for all help and glad to report that everything is working perfectly !!