2.4 GHz channels - What wrong with 1, 6 & 11?

Hey,

Just did a channel scan and noticed it putting my nodes channels 3 & 8 - Any reason for not using the standard non-overlapping 1,6 & 11? 

I appreciate 3 & 8 won't be overlapping themselves, but 3 will be overlapping the neighbours on 1 & 6 and 8 overlappying 6 & 11.

Just seems to go against standard practises.

Cheers

Re: 2.4 GHz channels - What wrong with 1, 6 & 11?

Yes, I was always taught that it's better to have channels overlap *exactly* than it is to have them near each other (like choosing 5 when 6 is used). The reason, as it was explained to me, is that routers can coordinate with one another when they're on *exactly* the same channel, but cannot coordinate when they're on different (albeit overlapping) channels.

Is my knowledge on this incorrect?
Anonymous

@IcedKiwi,

With the Velop Mesh-System, the main idea is to have seamless Internet connectivity throughout your household. The channel finder feature selects the best wireless frequency based on the location of that particular node.

How's the Velop wireless connection working out for you?

Admittedly in my setup, the wireless connection appears to be working great. But based on my limited knowledge, I think it has the potential to cause others issues in crowded wifi spaces. Most other "channel finders" I've seen on other brand routers limit the potential choices to 1,6 & 11
Anonymous

@IcedKiwi

We definitely appreciate the insight. The Velops channel finder feature picks the channel that it feels will benefit you in both connectivity and coverage.

Should you need further assistance with the Velop, shoot us an email at LinksysCares@linksys.com. Our Escalation Engineers will be more than happy to lend you a hand.

[ Edited ]

This has to be the worst deflection of the day. Perhaps you could just answer the question?

Linksys even references channel overlap by stating "The recommended channels for the 2.4 GHz network are 1, 6, 9 and 11 since they are considered non-overlapping channels.  For the 5 GHz network, channels 36, 40, 44 and 48 are recommended to less likely encounter interference."

This can be found on an official Linksys KB article!

https://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=136797